Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #1 
CosmicSyringe

Sorority and boys (many photos)

I really really like writing about my Betta's and taking photos of them so I decided its time to start a journal, whether or not anyone else cares to read/look.

Sorority:
A few days ago i finally got to introduce my females to their 10 gallon heated, filtered, and very busy tank. I've been planning a sorority for about the last 9 months.
As everyone was being introduced, 15-20mins apart, i didnt notice any nipping or even chasing. Throughout the entire first day, there was some chasing but no nipping. Didn't notice any nipping until last night, and more today on Crescent Moon, my newest girl. She's about the same size as Atlantis (greenish), while Galaxy(White, red, purple) is the biggest and SunnyD is almost as big.

Photo 1 is of Crescent moon, photo 2 is of her fins as of this afternoon. :[ There's more damage that you can't see in her tail.
I ended up putting Galaxy in a timeout today for a few hours (I'm not really sure how long is appropriate) before releasing her back into the tank.

Photo 3 is of Atlantis, Crescent Moon, and Galaxy (in her timeout cup).

Photos 4 and 5 are of Atlantis, showing how she got a bit pale and got stress stripes when they were all being introduced to the tank for the first time.

Photo 6 is of SunnyD, my female that's many colors. Her fins keep growing and people keep telling me she's a female but I'm just a tad bit still unsure.

I also have a little girl, Immortal, who is too small and easily stressed to join the sorority.

Males(?):
Photo 7 is of Cypher, my dark male who is still continuing to grow. I adopted him as a baby in march this year i believe. Photo 8 is of his bubble nest.

Photo 9 is of a baby i adopted more recently and am unsure of gender. I named the baby Alice, hoping it'd be a girl and i would call my sorority "Alice in Wonderland".

Photo 10 is of Cheza, whom i also adopted as a baby. In the photo, Cheza is flaring and i'm still unsure of his/her gender.

Photo 11 is my older male, BubbleBerry, an Elephant Ear Betta who's fins are extra delicate.
Attached Images

CosmicSyringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #2 
CosmicSyringe

If anyone has any questions, I love to talk about my betta's!
I will be posting many photos, whenever i take more.
I'd love to know the color types of my betta's if someone can help me figure that out. ^_^

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Your fish are beautiful!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #4 
CosmicSyringe

Thanks :) they're my pride and joy (along with my 3 kitties<3)
Old 09-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #5 
lottieBendie

Do you have any tips on helping stressed females? :D
lottieBendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #6 
Betta Luver0201

What is a bubble nest? My fish is making one and I don't know if its good or bad.
Betta Luver0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #7 
CosmicSyringe

My one little stressed female (Immortal) who I do not keep in the sorority I give lots of hiding spaces and keep her tank warm (78-80 degrees). I also usually have a blanket wrapped around her tank just to keep the heat in and so she doesn't get as stressed from the things around her. With Immortal, I try to pay attention to what plants she favors over others and same with hiding places.
Still, she sometimes has stress stripes but not as much. :)

Bubble nests are created by usually male(but sometimes female) betta's. i believe they create them as a sign they are willing to breed or are showing off to females or other males. My betta's will only make bubble nests when they're really comfortable in their homes.
I'm not a bubble nest expert though, so above is just what i know. :) The fact that your betta is creating a bubble nest is a GOOD sign.

Good luck to both of you.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #8 
lottieBendie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicSyringe View Post
My one little stressed female (Immortal) who I do not keep in the sorority I give lots of hiding spaces and keep her tank warm (78-80 degrees). I also usually have a blanket wrapped around her tank just to keep the heat in and so she doesn't get as stressed from the things around her. With Immortal, I try to pay attention to what plants she favors over others and same with hiding places.
Still, she sometimes has stress stripes but not as much. :)

Bubble nests are created by usually male(but sometimes female) betta's. i believe they create them as a sign they are willing to breed or are showing off to females or other males. My betta's will only make bubble nests when they're really comfortable in their homes.
I'm not a bubble nest expert though, so above is just what i know. :) The fact that your betta is creating a bubble nest is a GOOD sign.

Good luck to both of you.
I never thought about the heat thing, because I live in hawaii, where it's always in that temperature range. But I will try it, to see if it helps. :) thank you very much for the tips, they were helpful!
lottieBendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #9 
CosmicSyringe

You're very welcome, just be careful not to cook your fish! :) there is such a thing as too hot, just like too cold. But a stable temperature does help.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #10 
PetMania

You have beautiful fish! Is it demanding having a sorority? Kudos for being able to pull it off :)
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote