Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #1 
Kumiko

White Filament

My last thread I brought up this accumulation of white filament. I wasnt able to bring up a picture because I had just cleaned the tank, but I did mention that after after awhile it comes back. Well... it's back unfortuantly . I've been doing 50%water changes every Saturday. I still haven't gotten any type of snail yet.

This what i was talking about.

Also, I have another question. I bought a 3 gallon wisper filter for Auron because I was worried about tough currents pushing him all over the place. I did have elite mini, but it was primitive and 6 years old. The thing is... it doesnt move the water at all! Should I go the next step and get a 10g wisper?
Kumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #2 
vaygirl

That filter, the lip of it is supposed to be just under the water. That's how it works. Push it down until it is and see if that's somewhat better. I used to have one. You might need to upgrade the air pump. That's generally what causes it to be sluggish. I had to buy a new air pump within about 2 months of owning it. It moved the water pretty good, so in design, it's not supposed to be that sluggish.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #3 
Kumiko

So do you think when it doesn't move the water, that stuff accumulates on the surface because the water is stagnant? I did what you said... it does move it alittle. There is now a small movement on the surface. Doesn't really help the other half of the tank though.

If you disturb this stuff, it floats around the tank everywhere! It's like little puffy clouds. How would I get an upgraded air pump?

Last edited by Kumiko; 01-16-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #4 
vaygirl

I got the smallest air pump I could find because the filter was so small. I think it was a tetra 10 for 10 gallons or smaller. It really moved the filter, so much so that the little lid would pop up and down and bubbles would spill over the top. I think there's a valve you can buy and attach to the air pump to bring down the flow to what you want.

I don't really know about the white stuff. I've never seen that but what you said is possible, it could be because it's stagnant. Not sure. I hope this helps a little. :) Maybe someone else has some ideas about that.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:56 PM   #5 
Kumiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I got the smallest air pump I could find because the filter was so small. I think it was a tetra 10 for 10 gallons or smaller. It really moved the filter, so much so that the little lid would pop up and down and bubbles would spill over the top. I think there's a valve you can buy and attach to the air pump to bring down the flow to what you want.

I don't really know about the white stuff. I've never seen that but what you said is possible, it could be because it's stagnant. Not sure. I hope this helps a little. :) Maybe someone else has some ideas about that.
Thank-you. It really helped extensively! I will go searching for the smallest airpump I can find. Does your make a wrattling noise? That would explain it because mine is not so silent.

If anyone knows about the white stuff, I'm all ears!
Old 01-17-2010, 01:29 AM   #6 
vaygirl

Yeah it used to make all kinds of noise, clicking mostly from the lid popping up and down. The Tetra 10 air pump was nice because it had rubber feet and that kept it from vibrating as hard as the one that came with the filter.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #7 
Kumiko

Yeh! I got a wisper 10-30g air pump, and it's fantastic! That quite stuff is being thrown around (hopefully it dies soon!) and Auron seems to enjoy the bubbles it makes.

I just love the carnage of a pest. lol :)