Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #10091 
RowdyBetta

Is that mondo grass in the corner?
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #10092 
BatCakes

Yeah, I also did more research and realized snails produce a lot of waste. I'll probably have to make a thread about my questions. Anyway. Live plants are so wonderful~
BatCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #10093 
BatCakes

Yeah. Another thing I found out the day after I purchased it. Petsmart sells Mondo Grass as a full aquatic and it's not. I'm looking for a replacement but I've heard it takes a couple months to go bad.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #10094 
BatCakes

Ah! It won't let me edit that post, the link got broken to the photo. Sorry about all this post spam you guys...
Old 09-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #10095 
funaaba

What a great-looking tank, Batcakes! Lovely colors on your fish, too. :)

Are there any mossballs available to you? Perhaps you could use one or two of those to replace the Mondo grass. I've heard that some people flatten them down and change the shape in order to create moss beds in their tanks. At the very least, they're easy to care for. I've got one in my five gallon, and it's done wonders for my water parameters.
funaaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #10096 
Helianthe

Awesome tank! Plus I like the decoration a lot! I really would like to get something for my tank as well, but no chance here in Germany
Helianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #10097 
shadepixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by funaaba View Post
What a great-looking tank, Batcakes! Lovely colors on your fish, too. :)

Are there any mossballs available to you? Perhaps you could use one or two of those to replace the Mondo grass. I've heard that some people flatten them down and change the shape in order to create moss beds in their tanks. At the very least, they're easy to care for. I've got one in my five gallon, and it's done wonders for my water parameters.

+1 on Marimo balls. And they look lovely too.
shadepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #10098 
RowdyBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadepixie View Post
+1 on Marimo balls. And they look lovely too.
I had a small one in one of my last tanks. I found baseball sized ones at my lps for $6. I need to go back and get one xD
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #10099 
WhitneyLin

Okay. Here is Ty's tank now. Its a 2.5g (till I get the money to upgrade it to a 5g...or get it as a christmas present, whichever comes first.)

Do you think its too overcrowded? I just added the treasure chest. He has a new tail biting problem. He hides in the betta log a lot but not too much by the plants, so I thought maybe getting something else to hide in along the bottom would help.

Also ignore the haphazard Badgers cloth wrap. I'm not sure if he is seeing his reflection or not in the sides of the tank. I had the extra cloth so I thought id throw it around the tank and see if it helps.
Attached Images

WhitneyLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #10100 
shadepixie

Ok here is Louie's 5.5 gallon finally 'done' (for now!)
I ended up deciding on the plain black gravel and using some larger natural stones for accents. I got the Java moss today and have started propagating some Java fern babies on a small piece of Malaysian driftwood in the front. There's hornwort, water wisteria, Mondo grass and Marimo.
I put up two pics, on without paper in the back and one with black paper as a background. Which do you like better? Louie is flaring at the back paper so I'm not sure if I can leave it up.
I have really enjoyed putting this tank together. My first 'real' aquarium has given me a ton of pleasure! I had NO idea I would love doing this so much. I might end up getting another tank for the bedroom.
Attached Images

shadepixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank