Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #31 
dramaqueen
Banned

I am aware that the op 's fish isn't a petstore fish but I do know that breeder susually keep their best for showing and breeding put fish that aren't really show quality up for auction.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #32 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenluvsbettas623 View Post
This was a legitimate question that belongs in this section. It all started with someone making an ASSUMPTION that the OP intended to buy a fish to show, and not raise their own fry. The question was whether the fish was show quality, it was a legit question. The OP never took ofense to the fact that his fish was not "show quality". Many breeders start wit non-show quality fish who have a trait they like, and then they breed towards improving, the EE trait is still not very well developed in long- finned bettas therefore, it counts as a legitimate question.

If you really want only "show quality" fish to be posted here, then you need to be specific in your sticky. Put "only show quality fish here, that meet ibc standards, if you do not know what the ibc standards are, then you probably shouldn't be posting here" but since it doesn't say that, people shouldn't be nailed against the wall, not for how their fish look, but for even asking the question.

We all know basement bettas is good at what she does, trust me, we know, i know, i follow her fb page, there is no doubt there. If she feels like a question is not worth her time answering, then she should simply abstain from answering it.
The problem is the fish is presented like a pet fish. Is it show quality. NO. But how in the world can some one take that pic and present the good and bad so ALL can benefit from the critique and understand WHY is it not.

This section is to educate, not for people like me to just give you a yes or no on the quality of your fish. It is really not fair to ask about show anything when you present pet presentation. Evaluations on fish to breed are useful as you see what is easy and what is hard to fix. You get the down dirty of breeding stock and know what you need fixed. Asking show quality is an invitation for me to rip that fish apart for no good reason. As a breeder that info would be valuable. As a fish you just think is pretty and are going to enjoy.. it is not worth it. To the op or the fish.

I know most of you think I am cold and heartless. But this section is a little different than the rest. It is for serious evaluations on breeding stock, learning to understand the show system and raising fish with the intent to meet a standard and show. It is not to see how a fish you bought happens to stack up to show quality. You want to breed nice fish, present the fish properly and let me know the purpose. Breeding for what? You will get an honest evaluation against the standard you are trying to meet. I am not going to rip apart your pet, and like I have stated.. there are plenty of other places for that kind of evaluation here.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #33 
Basement Bettas

These are show quality fish.. presented so one can evaluate them..

Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #34 
Saber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
The problem is the fish is presented like a pet fish. Is it show quality. NO. But how in the world can some one take that pic and present the good and bad so ALL can benefit from the critique and understand WHY is it not.

This section is to educate, not for people like me to just give you a yes or no on the quality of your fish. It is really not fair to ask about show anything when you present pet presentation. Evaluations on fish to breed are useful as you see what is easy and what is hard to fix. You get the down dirty of breeding stock and know what you need fixed. Asking show quality is an invitation for me to rip that fish apart for no good reason. As a breeder that info would be valuable. As a fish you just think is pretty and are going to enjoy.. it is not worth it. To the op or the fish.

I know most of you think I am cold and heartless. But this section is a little different than the rest. It is for serious evaluations on breeding stock, learning to understand the show system and raising fish with the intent to meet a standard and show. It is not to see how a fish you bought happens to stack up to show quality. You want to breed nice fish, present the fish properly and let me know the purpose. Breeding for what? You will get an honest evaluation against the standard you are trying to meet. I am not going to rip apart your pet, and like I have stated.. there are plenty of other places for that kind of evaluation here.
I am not disagreeing with you here - telling someone that their fish is pretty isn't going to help them understand, but my point (and I think the point some others were trying to make) was that you were coming off a bit too harshly. There is a difference in educating newbies and "tearing them apart" as you mentioned. Not everyone responds well to harsh criticism. I'm not sure if this person wanted to show this fish, or if they were asking because they would like to breed it.

Its good that you posted examples of show quality bettas. I'm glad that the IBC will be making all of the pertinent info public soon, I think that will help a lot of newbies (because lets face it, sometimes people are lazy and want to look on only one website for information on something...
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #35 
veggiegirl

Basement Bettas, I can completely understand the need to provide properly presented photographs of the fish in order to have them evaluated however having bought from this seller quite a few times before I know for a fact that it would be very difficult to get such photos as only videos are available of each fish for sale. I would say that the pictures provided are just Print Screen Shots from the video hence the poor quality.

Last edited by veggiegirl; 09-30-2013 at 09:25 PM.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #36 
Lloyd28

They look like petshop fish i can get you some of those if your wanting more
Lloyd28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #37 
Fenghuang

Curious... Because I am always admiring her listings and watching her Youtube channel, I am fairly sure that betta is from Fishchick Aquatics. As fair as I know, she does not ship her fish outside of Australia. You have your location listed as the UK, so how did you manage to get one of her fish, Lloyd?
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #38 
veggiegirl

True they are fishchicks
Old 10-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #39 
Fenghuang

Yeah, I noticed Lloyd posting pictures of their HMs before and they all seemed to be taken from Fishchick's videos. Unless I'm mistaken and Lloyd never meant that they bought them.

Because, honestly, I would love to know how they got them without being in Australia... :P
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #40 
veggiegirl

The fish in my avatar is one of fishchicks,my most recent purchase!