Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #1 
isis67901

Just bought my 1st halfmoon beta..need help please

I just bought my 1st gorgeous red halfmoon beta! I love him! Never did I think I'd ever get a beta! Anyway, I went to Petco tonight & got him. I got a 1.5 gallon tank with filter & 2 plastic plants. I just read here that you need a heater! I didnt know & Petco didnt tell me.. Is my boy going to be ok? Do I need to get one tomorow for now its after 11pm? Should I leave the little light on that came with the tank & my lamp next to the tank for warmth? I am so afraid now. It's warm in my home but I dont know about my boy's water.

Thank you in advance for your help!
isis67901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the betta addiction. lol He should be fine until you can get him a heater. Just keep him in the warmest room in your house. I wouldn't leave a light on all night. Fish need the day/night cycle like we do.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #3 
BakaMandy

:) Welcome!

FYI, becareful with those plastic plants, it's pretty common that they will rip your betta fish's fins since their fins are pretty fragile. I'd recommend getting silk (part material) plants ^^ they're less of a hazard, but still make sure there's no pointy pieces of plastic sticking out anywhere! Dx;

^^ If you're worried worried about temperature, a thermometer is a worthy investment! :) If your tank came with a light, the light will often heat up the tank on it's own, so I don't need a heater for my tanks! (I actually have this problem where the light alone overheats some of my tanks!) And if it's an open top, take a piece of plastic wrap and put it over the top and poke a few holes in it to let air through. This will retain the heat and prevent the water from evaporating too fast.

^o^ But he should be okay! Bettas can survive at room temperature.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #4 
isis67901

OMG! Thank you both soooooo much! I was so worried about my baby! I love him! I will get a thermometer tomoro! If I see the temp is a bit cold even with the small lite on the tank, I will get a thermometer! And thanks about the plastic plants!! I didnt know that either! The only fish I ever had were goldfish, but they are so dirty & I just got a job & didnt want to keep cleaning it! My baby is so handsome! I would love to get more. Thank you both! xxx
isis67901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

You're welcome!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #6 
Jynx

same thing goes for any other decorations you put in there- make sure there are no pointy or rough parts
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote