Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #1 
FuulieQ

Angry Fin Rot? |<

This fish. Always keeping me on my toes.

I noticed when I went to feed him today that the tank water was really warm (due to the light) so I turned it off. Shortly thereafter I noticed that Freedy's tail fin (caudal?) had a large ragged tear in it, going up and down one of the rays, and the edges were sort of brownish. Just yesterday he was perfect!!! This morning even! AUGH

I'll attach a picture as soon as I have better light. At any rate, I put some salt in his tank and some Maracyn, too, just in case that turns out to be what it is. A water change is probably in order. I just hate to disturb him right after he made such a nice bubble nest and is finally acting to happy. ;n;

Anyway, is Maracyn and the salt enough? Is there anything else I can do, and could the rips have been caused by my silk plants?! (I don't want to have to take those away, he really likes them, always hiding and poking his head out at me and cute fishy stuff)
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #2 
kelly528

More than enough. I would nix the maracyn. Salt and clean water usually takes care of all but the most agressive fin rot.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #3 
AznArth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
More than enough. I would nix the maracyn. Salt and clean water usually takes care of all but the most agressive fin rot.
hey this is kinda off topic but are your dwarf gourami's hard to care for? could i have 1 for my 10 gallon?
AznArth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #4 
FuulieQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
Oh! Okay! :D

I think it might have been accelerated by the hot light making the water really warm. >_> I checked water parameters and they were okay. I'll do at least a 30% change, though, just to make sure.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:30 AM   #5 
sunkissedinCA

if it isn't too bad, you can treat it with salt baths and clean water alone like kelly said. just make sure to change his water EVERY day. it's amazing what the salt baths can do, they've been my BFF numerous times thanks to my little bratty boy critter lol.
sunkissedinCA is offline   Reply With Quote