Hello, I've been treating my little betta boy for ich for a couple of weeks now, and last week was the first day I stopped heat treatment (about 3 or 4 days after the ich stopped appearing). Anyway, the other day, I noticed a small white dot on him when I turned on his tank light, and about an hour later it was gone. Then the next day, he had about half a dozen to a dozen on him, so I turned the temp up about 2 degrees, and they were gone in about an hour. Every day since then, there's been about one or two dots on him, and I don't know if it's Ich or something on him.
The weird thing, which I noticed today, is they don't always seem to be too attached to him. I saw him turn, and the spot looks like a very tiny white ball stuck on him. And just a moment ago, I saw him swim through some plants, and when he swam out, the white spot was gone.
Now, I live in a very very dusty area, and even with the tank covered, dust managed to settle onto the top of the water through the tiny holes for the heater/filter, so is it possible that it's specks of dust attached to him that sparkle in the light? I'm really concerned because I don't know whether to start treatment again or not, so I'm leaving the water at around 86 for now. I'll try to get a picture or two soon, but I have a poor camera. The water toxins are very low, he's in a 6.5 gallon, it's heated, there's a filter, and I mostly feed him new life spectrum and sometimes Omega Formula.
Just read your thread one time and i was going to write that its doesn't look like ich however i would treat for ich a little longer then 3-4 days after ich stopped appearing. So even if it not ich i would really continue the temperature 88* and daily water changes for about 7-8 more days to insure that you get rid the ones that might hide in the gills. Also those white might be excess of the slime coat from the salt or meds , or from the parasites. Usually slime coat is not bad -its his natural protection from the infection. Slime coat is clear, slimy like a mucus
So i would continue the treatment. Did you take the cartridge from the filter out though? Take it out because it is possibilities that it can also have ich since it filtrating the water.
Sounds more like he may have tiny bubbles that get on him. I've seen it happen usually right after a water change but at other times as well. As for Ich, if you believe that's what it is, the temp should stay at 86F for at LEAST a week AFTER you see the last spot. IMO, removing the filter is unnecessary as long as you have the heat & more frequent water changes with a good vacuuming.
I agree with anhel and shellica about continuing the heat treatment. If you've let the temp back down, then I think you should just start the 2 week treatment over again. Just to be sure.
However, I disagree about removing the filter. There is no need to do anything with the filter. The heat treatment kills off ALL the parasites in the water, which includes anything in the filter media. For that same reason I do not do water changes or gravel vacuums during the 2 week treatment. In my experience it is unnecessary. The treatment kills off the parasites - the idea that the parasites need to be removed from the water/gravel stems from not wanting the fish to become reinfected. Or am I mistaken? The treatment kills the parasites, so why bother removing them? thats like setting traps for snails during a copper treatment - why bother when they are all going to die? There's just no harm in leaving the dead parasites in the tank until the treatment is over. If you have snails then I'm sure they will be consumed before then anyway.
As for your new white spots, it does sound like microbubbles from the filter or something.
But he still needs to do water changes for 5 gall weekly minimum of 50%, or i would even do more to prevent secondary infection. And still there is a lot of derbies on the bottom that i think has to be removed ,especially there is a lot of more possibilities to get infection with the warmer water . It's nothing wrong to do water changes if you need it anyway. And a lot of people recommending to do daily water changes any way, there is no harm to do water changes especially also that fish can get secondary infection from the parasites. That is my opinion. But may be i am too clean lol I just like to make my tanks very clean , and even if it's not schedule day for cleaning i do extra any way. But i saw a lot of people really recommending daily water changes:)
The temp is at 84 right now, but I'll pump it up to 86 tonight. There were no spots on him this morning, but when I returned home, he had about 3 on him. I noticed that, when he turned to the side, one of the bigger ones looked like it was floating right along side next to him, not exactly touching him. Not sure if that helps with anything, but that one at least didn't seem to be attached.
He also looks to be having some buoyancy issues. I fed him one pellet of Omega this morning, but I read that he should be fasted for this. He still has an appetite, but I worry about fasting him while doing heat treatment.
But he still needs to do water changes for 5 gall weekly minimum of 50%, or i would even do more to prevent secondary infection. And still there is a lot of derbies on the bottom that i think has to be removed ,especially there is a lot of more possibilities to get infection with the warmer water . It's nothing wrong to do water changes if you need it anyway.
Not in my experience. Secondary infections with ich is a non-issue. He doesn't NEED to do a weekly water change. Debris does not need to be removed. The only "need" for such strict adherence to this "rule" is that of the aquarist to feel like they are doing something. Some people talk of this "need" to do these water changes like the fish will die without it, or worse the tank will implode. It's not a house of cards waiting to come crashing down. In all the heat treatments I've done, and I administer a heat treatment (2 weeks at 88) to well over 100 fish (every new fish gets it while in quarantine), I've never had an infection break out with the increased heat. It's just not something you should be scared of, from a practical point of view.
I'm not saying that there is something wrong with doing water changes during the treatment. I'm just saying that it is not necessary. You can sing and dance during the treatment too, but that's not going to make the treatment any more or less effective.
I would not be concerned about fasting during the heat treatment. Nothing will happen.
I wouldn't continue with the treatment though, as I do not believe that it's ich. Not by what you've said. I would let things go back to normal and see what happens. If the fish does still have it, then you can begin the treatment again. You will have plenty of time to act before the fish is in any real danger.
Is your water level low, creating lots of bubbles in the water?
I can try to borrow a camera to get a video up, but it'll be difficult.
As for your other question, I have a bookshelf aquarium, so it's longer than it is tall. I read this was supposed to improve the oxygenation and give him more room to swim horizontally, as well as making it easier to get air. I also bought him a couple of really tall plants that scrape or nearly scrape the surface of the water, so I often find him laying on those when he's not begging for food. Also, my tank isn't fully cycled yet, so I've been doing daily 15-33% water changes. Ammonia is usually zero, nitrites can be .25-.50ppm, and Nitrates are always moderate.
Is there anything I should do to tell the difference between Ich and other stuff? I noticed most of the white dots appear near the top of his body, and if it's not Ich, I speculate it's because he gets some debris or dust from the top of the water and carries it around with him.