Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #1 
cokeefe5

Unhappy HELP does my fish have swimbladder or sleeping

Hello, so I'm a new betta owner. I just got my betta two days ago and right when I put him in the tank and everything he was fine. Fed him and he ate. Swimming and all. I took him on a 3 hour drive to my college. I was really worried he wasn't going to make it and he lived. This morning and a little last night I realized he was being still in the corner or his tank just laying there. AND Has been all day. I'm scared he might have swim bladder from the research I did. Or it just may be him exhausted and sleeping. His fins look fine. Doesn't really look bloated or maybe I can't tell. But I'm just wondering what to do and if anyone would know what's wrong with my baby. I really don't want him to die. I changed his water and cleaned the tank when I arrived. If I blow on him he does move or if I just stick my finger in there to. Check. HELP. I attached a picture of him on his side
Attached Images

cokeefe5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Double tailed Betta's are notorious for having spinal issues which lead to organs pressing against organs, specifically the swim bladder. So yes it could be that he has some issues with that but there are things you can do to help him out.

First off though, did you acclimate him slowly and very well to the new water at your college? Different water parameter's are the first thing that pops into my mind and make his whole system basically go off kilter and hence, he's floating like that. If you did, then he could have spinal issues like I mentioned before. If not then that might be your culprit, you use water conditioner correct?

If you didn't acclimate him well then there isn't much you can do right now except keep his tank healthy and clean, do a little water change each day. And you can cut back on his feedings just a little so there isn't much a chance you can make it worse.

If you did acclimate him well, then he most likely will have SBD which might have been triggered by the different water parameters. You can use a low dosage therapeutically of Epsom salt which can be found at pharmacy's/wal-mart (wal-mart is only 88 cents!) not at a pet store. You can use .25 teaspoons per gallon of ES but please make sure it's dissolved! Dissolving salt creates heat which can burn your fish if you just put it straight into the tank.

So just as an example, if the tank is 4 gallons you will use 1 whole teaspoon NOT tablespoon, teaspoon of ES. Dissolve it in a small cup or something with tank water and then slowly over half an hour or so add it little by little into the tank so he can get used to it. Then when you do a water change, keep track of how much you take out because you'll have to replace the salt when you put the water back in. So if you take out 50% (2 gallons) then you have to put back in .50 teaspoons of dissolved ES for him.

This solution can be used indefinitely for therapeutic reasons only. Epsom is a natural laxative and can help relieve some symptoms in him if he's got organs pressing against other organs.

Also, what brand of food do you give him and how much/how often? Try to stay away from most flake foods and bloodworms for fish with constipation/bloat/SBD issues as they tend to promote constipation/bloat which obviously doesn't help. Freeze-dried Daphnia however can be helpful since that is also a natural laxative for them.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #3 
cokeefe5

Okay so I didn't really acclimate him to the new water change so that might be it :( but I do and did use the water conditioner and I feed him tetra betta mfloating mini pelts. Usually 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I'm new at this and tried my best. I just want him healthy again and feel so bad.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Alrighty, yeah that's most likely the culprit then which is a bit easier at least to deal with than having SBD all the time. So for now just keep his lights out, tonight cover his tank with a towel if you have a spare one; the total darkness should help him calm down and chill out and it should raise the heat a little bit for him to be comfortable.

If you can, can you get either New Life Spectrum or Omega One Betta pellets? Those are top end quality food right now (I and my fish prefer NLS over Omega though) and they are much better to feed a fish who has potential issues with his swim bladder. With these pellets you can also feed him a little more; 3-4 at each feeding since he does need food still and they don't swell as much as other foods do which means they can eat more and use more of it. The things you want to look for on foods are fillers; fillers are bad, they are anything that consists of Wheat, Corn and Soybean.

The first three ingredients are what makes up the majority of the food so you can just look at those, if there are fillers in the first three then it's probably not a good food. Omega has no fillers in it's first three, making it one of the best foods you can get (only 3 dollars something for a bottle as well that will last you a looong time). NLS does have one filler but it makes up for it by having garlic and spirulina in it's formula. Garlic is a natural anti-parasitic food and Bettas loooooove it! Not saying it will prevent your fish from internal parasites, but it certainly does help ward them off! And I know my fish absolutely go nuts over this stuff as well Again, only 4 dollars and something generally for a larger container than Omega and that will last you and even looooooooonger time! Still have mine and it's almost a year old, just now making a dent in it! lol and I've even spilled some XD

And no worries, we all start somewhere and all we have to go is up from there! Ask all the questions you need, whether you think they're silly or not; it could save your Betta's life if you do
Old 09-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #5 
cokeefe5

Do you think I should feed him tonight? I just put a blanket over his tank and I'll keep it there until tomorrow night. I'm just curious when I should feed him next in case it is SBD
Old 09-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can feed him 1 pellet if he'll take it, hopefully though the night in complete darkness will do him well. Tomorrow he can have light if he's doing a little better, if not then just keep his light off and keep the blanket over the tank.

Tags
betta care, sleeping, swim bladder, swim bladder disease