Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #1 
MaggieBones

Question New betta addict - please help!

I haven't had fish since I was a kid, and about a week ago while at Craft Warehouse I decided to buy a betta for one of those fish/plant habitats. Afterwords, I decided that I didn't think it was fair to put him in a little vase with nothing but the roots of a plant and some glass marbles to keep him company. I got online, did my research and am now up to my eyeballs in betta products. I have the water conditioner, test strips, water renewal, two types of food (Hikari Betta Bio-Gold and freeze-dried bloodworms) and a heater. I just set up and transferred him to his new Eclipse 3 gal, (thanks to this forum I added a plastic bottle to slow the falling water and padded the intake with a piece of foam) and he seems to like it. The only thing that worries me is now that he's in a bigger environment I've noticed that his tail fins look transparent around the edges, and the tips of his ventral fins are either the same, or possibly white. Is this fin rot? Should I be rushing off to petco to get some aquarium salt? It's quite possible I'm just an overreacting new fish-momma, but I've grown attached to Tesla Nibbleton over the past few days, and I'll be dammned if I'm going to loose him.

From what I've read, I shouldn't turn on the light in his new home for at least a day so I doubt I'll be able to get a picture up of him till tomorrow.
MaggieBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #2 
truthequalslies

what color is he? whit ventral tips are natural lots of bettas have them and about the transparancy you would need to post a picture
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #3 
MaggieBones

After a ten-minute photo shoot in the new tank, this was the best I could get. He's super active and was having fun playing with the camera but couldn't sit still to save his fins. :) The transparency isn't very visible, it's about an eighth of an inch. However, under closer scrutiny (while trying to get a good shot) I noticed that the ends of his fins are slightly iridescent. Does this mean it's just natural coloring? I've never noticed this hue before, the craft store (and my room, for that matter) don't have the best lighting, and the florescent lamp in the Eclipse is the first time he's had good light on him.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #4 
truthequalslies

he looks fine i would just watch him for a few more days to be sure
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #5 
MaggieBones

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #6 
BrucesFriend

I've actually read that lighter fins are a good thing. I've read multiple times that light and/or transparent edges signal new fin growth. Good luck with the new friend :)
BrucesFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #7 
MaggieBones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucesFriend View Post
I've actually read that lighter fins are a good thing. I've read multiple times that light and/or transparent edges signal new fin growth. Good luck with the new friend :)
Awesome! He's looking happy and healthy in his new tank, hopefully my research and the input from this forum helps. Once again, thanks. :D

Tags
fin rot