Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #1 
literallysquid

Unhappy Big swollen tummy!

Veyron has had a little bit of a swollen tummy since a few days after I got him (the 21st), so I have been cutting back on food a little bit. I haven't fed him at all today and yesterday I only gave him a single pellet. I just checked up on him and he has a HUGE swollen tummy! What can I do? It looks so sore

literallysquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #2 
Saphira101

What type of food are you feeding him? Pellets or flakes, and what brand?
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #3 
literallysquid

I feed him pellets, this brand

and every Saturday he gets a blood worm as a treat!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #4 
Tree

I heard that too fast your betta and used Epsom Salt.

I am having trouble with this as well, the bloating. right now I am Fasting him. At first, he was eating dried blood worms because that was the only thing he would eat at first. that was until I crumbled up the pellets and now he is starting to eat them. could that be part of the problem? though I think my betta ate my snail food though. =/ this is the stuff I feed my Bettas.

your betta is a very pretty color! 8DI hope he gets better. =(
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #5 
literallysquid

Tree, I thought your avatar was a picture of my fish! They're nearly identical!

I have been fasting him for a day now and he doesn't look like he's improving.. hopefully he will soon!
Old 10-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #6 
Tree

thats why I like your fish so much <3 Awww maybe it takes some time? I sure hope both of our fish get better.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #7 
literallysquid

He hasn't improved at all guys... it's been a long time :/
He still has the huge swollen tummy even though I've been fasting him for days at a time.. like up to four days with no food.
He's also starting to lose his color.. and I think he's developing fin rot because his tail looks scraggly...

Why can't I keep any of my fish healthy :'(
Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #8 
hollyk

If you can get some frozen daphnia (Petsmart sells it), that works as a natural laxative. Epsom salt baths also help- there are different ideas about the correct dose, but I've had success with 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon. Also, there are 2 better foods out there that are better for preventing constipation- New Life Spectrum and Omega One Betta Buffet. I would use one of those if you can find it. If the first ingredients listed on your fish food are things like wheat or various grains, that's not the greatest food for them. The first ingredients should be fish products (i.e. krill, herring)- those foods are higher in protein and help prevent the problems you're having. Good luck with him!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote