Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #1 
Roemgie

Clamped breathing heavy, help

So Maximus hasnít been doing well for a while now and I donít know what to do. He started getting clamped up and so I switched him out with my baby and put him in the 2.5 gallon tank. Well soon after one of my boys tail had this fluffy black stuff that when I pulled it off it multiplied and covered the entire end of his tail and then he passed on.

So I have no earthly idea what to do because now my little baby looks like it has velvet?!?! It seems that all my tanks except one are going haywire so I donít know what to do!

None of my tanks are cycled and I do weekly water changes and theyíre all heated staying between 78-80. I also am needing some advice on water conditioners because Iíve just being using this one by Jungle and havenít changed but now I donít think itís the best and I want the best for my bettas

Maximus (these are iPhone photos and the tank glass is a little dirty)

My little baby:

I just rearranged some decorations with my two boys still in there and my other one doesnít have anything on him so I donít know what to think?
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:06 AM   #2 
beautiful Betta

you need to be doing more water changes, with unfiltered tanks. and I think you need to check for ammonia and nitrite, if that's ok in the boys tank who is gasping then I would recommend a parasite treatment and think time is of the essence here, if parasites are effecting his breathing then he doesn't have much time if left much longer, so test kits liquid ones. and a parasite treatment, which you will need to get a the same time, if you are to save him should it be parasites. if you can get a multi cure that might be the best one that covers white spot, fungus, velvet. I used a multi cure on one of mine that was breathing heavy he survived.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #3 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful Betta View Post
you need to be doing more water changes, with unfiltered tanks. and I think you need to check for ammonia and nitrite, if that's ok in the boys tank who is gasping then I would recommend a parasite treatment and think time is of the essence here, if parasites are effecting his breathing then he doesn't have much time if left much longer, so test kits liquid ones. and a parasite treatment, which you will need to get a the same time, if you are to save him should it be parasites. if you can get a multi cure that might be the best one that covers white spot, fungus, velvet. I used a multi cure on one of mine that was breathing heavy he survived.

I have sponge filters but none of my tanks are actually cycled and I have 0 ammonia in all tanks. He passed away last night and it seemed to come from seeing the other boy at first and then he never recovered. What do you think for my little baby?
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #4 
beautiful Betta

get a parasite treatment and treat a multi cure will be best if in doubt. also if you are using test strips bin them they are rubbish, get liquid API kits they seem to work, for ammonia and nitrite and check with them, looking at him I would still give a parasite treatment. the multi cure I used contained the ingredients malachite green, methylene blue, acriflavine. Good luck with him.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote