Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #51 
peeptoad

Hi ANHEL, he still seems fine to me (acting normally, eating like a pig). I have been keeping his water as clean as possible after the antibiotics.
What do you think of his pelvic fins in the pics above? Does that black coloration just take some time to go away after fin rot?
peeptoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #52 
ANHEL123

Well clean water, good nutrients, and watch him closely, if there any behavior changes then you really have to worry about it. And you sure its not his normal coloration and its something that he develop while you have him?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #53 
peeptoad

I'm not sure the appearance of his pelvic fins is normal or not, to be honest... to me the tissue seems to be abnormal due to its ragged appearance. I have seen necrotic tissue on other animals since I work in the veterinary field, but fish are new for me. It's possible it's just residual dead tissue I suppose. Maybe it will fall off or disappear at a certain point, but his pelvics have looked basically like that since I got him 3 months ago (except when he was very sick and they did recede closer to his body).

His behavior may be a better indicator of overall health anyway, and I definitely know what's normal for him in that area since he got so sick last month. I guess I will just continue to monitor and if his activity level does not drop and he's eating, then he is probably ok. He's been off antibiotics for about a week now and still seems healthy to me.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #54 
ANHEL123

Completely agree with everything you saying. Give us update please:)
Old 10-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #55 
peeptoad

Will do. :)
Old 10-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #56 
peeptoad

He's definitely biting his tail (and perhaps other fins). I got home from work yesterday and his tail tip was sheared off neatly, straight across just like he got a hair cut. No sign of the piece of his tail in the tank so I assume he ate it?? (do they do this?)

I guess he will just be a high maintenance tail biter. I did a 100% water change last night and plan on changing out 50% on Monday (my usual water change schedule).

Otherwise he seems perfectly fine... so I guess just keeping clean water and changing up his environment once in awhile to reduce boredom may be best for now?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #57 
ANHEL123

Yes the best is just keep the water clean to prevent infections. I am lucky because i had tail bitter who did it only about 6 -7 times in his life (he was 4 years old, he died 4 wks ago) . But i am reading on this forum that some bettas are really can do it even daily.
People recommending to rearrange decor,some people use plastic bottle tops off soda bottles, if you have light in your tank may be try to see if its bother him, try to put a few toys outside of the tank so he can see it, may be move the tank location /angle . I personally didn't do a lot for my bitter. I had silk plant, i had 2 glass thermometers lol just to get him distracted, i had even a few suction cups to distract him . I also had a few toys outside of the tank. Betta might bite because he's bored,or because he's threatened by his tail and thinks it's another betta, or his tail is too heavy.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #58 
peeptoad

Thanks ANHEL. I do have stuff outside the tank for him to look at... I actually placed all the extra plants that I had from when he was in the bigger tank there and it gives him some extra cover. I also leave the lava lamp on occasionally... it moves and gives him something to look at. Plus I sometimes put a mirror up so he can get some aggression out (he really flares out, so I usually only leave it for 30 minutes and then remove it so he doesn't get too stressed). I think he might get bored honestly (or lonely) because I live alone and I am at work 8-10 hours a day. He reacts quite a bit to me when I first come home at night- he dances around like crazy when he sees me for the first time, and then calms down after that.
Maybe I will try to re-arrange his interior décor more often to give him some novelty. Someone else was saying their betta plays with a pink pong ball floating on the water so maybe I will try that too.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #59 
ANHEL123

Oh those cute bettas give us such a hard time:)