Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #11 
Aalistair

No white spots or bubble since last night.

He looked really healthy this morning, so I gave him a pellet and he's been fine all day, but it looks like his belly is acting up again. He seems to be having trouble swimming downwards or staying low again, so I regret feeding him now. :(

Other than that, nothing new to report. Temp is at 84-85, did a 2 gallon water change with some Epsom Salt in the new water, and shuffled around his decorations. He doesn't look bloated, but he hasn't pooped today. His poop has been looking normal though, so hopefully that rules out any internal parasite problems.
Aalistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #12 
BETTACHKALOVE

6.5 gall no filter is fine, just do about 40-50% or less daily water changes and full water change about every 8 days . Sorry not sure if anyone mentioned , try frozen daphnia or larva if you can find it outside.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #13 
Aalistair

Sorry for the late response. Computer issues.

Anyway, I do have a filter in my tank, so hopefully that's better. My little guy seems to be doing a lot better today. Swimming around and through things, high and low. Before bed, I noticed he had a couple of white things on him that I assume are (hopefully) bubbles, but there's no sign of them this morning.

Also, I don't know if it's cause for worry, but had some poop hanging out last night before bed, and it wasn't as dark as it usually is. It didn't look stringy, but it looked rather clear with light brown chunks in it. I found it this morning and it looks mostly light brown, but there did appear to be a white and black string in it. I read this can happen because of constipation, but I hope it doesn't mean he has any internal parasites. This is the first time I've noticed this too.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #14 
BETTACHKALOVE

Not sure about the filter i don't have one.
But i am curious about his poo. Not sure i am wondering what other people will say about it. But definitely observe his next poo.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #15 
Aalistair

Oh no, I just looked at my Betta from above and he's contorted into an "S" shape?

What does this mean? Can it help narrow down what's wrong?
Old 10-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #16 
jaysee
Reference Team

That doesn't sound good. Were it my fish, I would cull it. Maybe someone else has a better idea, but I don't like to waste time making such decisions...not when I think the animal is suffering.
jaysee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #17 
ANHEL123

How he doing? Try to monitor his poo again. If its will be the same color again i would use General Cure API which can help with internal infection/parasites.
S shape can be due to swim bladder problem or constipation. It's like a person who gets cramped up with gas and bloating. However its also can be sign of mycobacterial infection. And again if he is bloated and has white,clear or black poo could be internal parasites too. So lets observe and see how he doing.Of course monitor his poo.

Can you remind how long and how much of Epsom you been using? I would continue to use salt for the minimum of 14 days with daily water changes. As i remember he is in 5 gall tank and you lower the water ? And i am not sure if your tank still not cycled. If its not cycled i would do full water change once a wk.

Forgive me i don't remember if you have another betta, if you do DO NOT SHARE contaminate anything between them.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #18 
Aalistair

His shape is looking a bit better today. It's only slightly curved and not in an "S" shape anymore. He's also able to swim high an low now, unlike last night.

I found some poo this morning that looked quite normal, but I'm still keeping an eye out for anything unusual.

I wish it was all good news, but unfortunately today he seems to be struggling to swim upwards now. His fins aren't clamped, but he's laying on the bottom and on big leaves, sometimes on his side. Also, it could just be the trouble swimming, but he does seem to take 2-3 breaths of air now when he goes up. I don't know if that's significant or not. He still has an appetite, but I'm worried. Should I give him something to eat?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #19 
Aalistair

I suppose I should note that he seems to "want" to be active. He never rests in the same spot for long, usually only a moment or two, and about 20-30 seconds at the longest before swimming around and finding a new spot. He's doing more exploring of his little toys than usual and his fin color is very bright.

He also perks up and dashes around when I get close, and when he's looking for food, he seems completely normal. Then when I move away, he goes back to resting. I've noticed that it's kind of like an "n" position with his head and tail sort of tilted down and his tummy kind of bent giving him a slight "n" shape. Again, I don't know if this means anything or helps, but I thought I should say something.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #20 
ANHEL123

I would feed him small meals through out the day. And give him frozen daphnia too. Since he has it for long time and it might be chronic now too so we cant starve him. He need good nutrients . You can give him one pellet in the morning, one time daphnia and may be one pellet at night see how it go. Fast him one day. I was thinking may be one day feed him only frozen daphnia.
How long you treating him with Epsom? And how much of it?
But one thing at least good , if his poo is good.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich disease