BlackCanary

Fin rot or possible stress tears not sure help me diagnose

Housing
What size is your tank?10gal divided tank
What temperature is your tank?about 72
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?no im working on getting a heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?another betta on the other side of the divider

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?NLS pellets,bloodworms,
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day blood worms once a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 95%-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? 1ml prime and 1ml API stress coat+

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?NA

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?Tattered fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?nope eats like a pig and very active always fairing
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 5 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?no
Does your fish have any history of being ill?no
How old is your fish (approximately)?dont know

his caudal fin was always a little see through and thin but now its torn and you cant tell in the pic but his caudal fin also has two little holes in it
i have a 3 gallon critter keeper i can use as a hospital tank and aq salt
if need be ill get medication im just not sure what to do please help
Attached Images

BlackCanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually that looks like biting, most likely frustration for being able to see his neighbor but not get at him. I'd suggest getting another piece of mesh to put up to hopefully block their lines of sight.

You're actually doing really great with water changes, I'd suggest though while he's healing to do twice weekly water changes. If you can continue with your 95% water changes that's fine but 50% twice a week will be fine.

However, I see you do not have a filter which is needed to cycle a tank. Do you know about the Nitrogen Cycle and how it works? So filter and adjustable heaters are definitely something you can work for in the future. But for now doing frequent water changes will be your best bet along with getting more to block their divider, even more silk plants would help too. But you can get craft mesh at craft stores for like 66 cents per sheet so you'd only really need one sheet, cut it up and fit it in next to the old divider.

Also, if you do feel the ambition, you can do daily/every other day water changes around 25-50% to help keep him clean since it's not going to help him putting him in a different tank. Well it will while you get more mesh or something to help cover the divider so they can't see each other.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #3 
BlackCanary

I got the mesh so no more see through divider They keep going to the divider like they use too
But can no longer see each other it was Kinda cute to watch them flair up at each other but its nit worth them hurting themselvs and ill do twice weekly water changes till he gets better and no i have no idea how to cycle a tank or what the nitrogen cycle is
Old 09-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh great! Yeah, I know it's cute but it's definitely not worth it, I do agree.

I really suggest you read these two sticky articles: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960

The Nitrogen is extremely important when it comes to aquariums, it's what keeps everything in balance and keeps your fish protected and healthy! Without a cycle your tank can be unstable if you don't do enough water changes to keep ammonia (fish poop/waste) down to a good level of zero so it doesn't hurt your fish. If ammonia get's too high it can affect the fishes fins badly and can poison your fish which is obviously never good
Old 10-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #5 
BlackCanary

So iv been doing 25%-50% water changes and his fin dosent look any better it even looks a little worse im gonna be putting a heater in my tank tonight do you think this will Help his fins
Old 10-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Heater's will definitely help, higher temps of 80-82 speeds up their metabolism which in turns helps the process of healing.

Do you have any new pics so I can see if there's any progress at all? Still flaring a lot?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #7 
BlackCanary

Hes not flairing at all not since i blocked the divider i got one of those exercise mirrors for them to flair at everyonce in a.while so ill go try to get a pick of him flairing hold ill be right back
Old 10-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #8 
BlackCanary

This is him today somewhat flairing his fins dont even open up like in the pic at.the.top Of the thread do You think it could be.something more then tailbiting ?
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

He might be a little shocked at not being able to see his tankmate any more but he'll get over it. Looks like he could use some more food as well lol. He's still young it looks so he should heal quickly. If he continues to bite even without seeing his partner then he could be biting for another reason like if you moved something that he liked, it might annoy him. Or if you feed at the same time every day and then another day you feed at a different time, it might irk him and make him bite. But I think it's just too much flaring at his tankmate and getting frustrated he couldn't get at him is all.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #10 
BlackCanary

I did rearrange his tank decoratons Last week maby that upset him. I feed him 3-6 NLS pellets every day should i feed him more,and how much bigger do you think he w
will get?