Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, yeah I suspected double tail since they are notorious for having swim bladder issues or issues of any sort really. Double tail is actually a deformity in and of itself which then causes other issues, usually related to the spine. They tend to have bent and/or deformed spines which in turn cause other issues like organs being pressed together. One of my DT boy's has squished intestines so I'm lucky if he poops once a week but he still get's about 4 or so pellets daily of NLS with two fasting day's along with the rest of my fish since I'm not home.

And Aqueon is a bad brand to feed constipated/deformed fish. Since it has so many filler's it's a bad brand of food, it's like eating garbage and expecting to get nutrients from it :-/ So yeah, Omega one is the way to go ^_^ to know if it's a good brand you want to look at the first three ingredients, and this goes for all foods as well; human, cat, dog, rabbit, etc. And things like Wheat, Corn and Soybean are fillers which you want to stay away from. So you want to look for a food with little to no fillers in the first three ingredients which Omega has no fillers in the first three, NLS has one but they make up for it by adding garlic and spirulina to their food!

and you're welcome, happy to help!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #12 
MorganC2010

Also so did I identify this correctly?
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

well there's a few things it could be, it could be swim bladder disease (SBD) or it could be internal parasites making him bloat, however that doesn't always cause him to float on his side and usually they're still a little active. And last he could just be constipated from the pellets, that would cause him to act like SBD because his intestines/stomach would be pressing against other organs which intern press against his swim bladder, throwing him off kilter.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #14 
MorganC2010

Ok I got the salt today and have begun the process I hope it helps him! Thank you so much for all your help!
Old 10-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #15 
MorganC2010

Sammie's bloating is still going up and down like crazy. One day it's down and almost normal looking and the next day he is bloated again with increased boyemcy issues. I've only been giving him 1 omega one pellet a day whole doing this treatment. Should I stop that? Also he did poop last night, it looks normal but not as much as my other bettas normal poop. I think that is due to only getting 1 pellet.

So I'm continuing this treatment but I didn't know if the bloating bouncing back and forth could be an indicator for a different health issue.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ehh, doesn't strike anything that I've heard of besides just constipation issues. Can you get some more pictures, specifically of his stomach so I can see how much of a bloat it is?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #17 
MorganC2010

I think the last pic is the best. That's how he lays when relaxed when he is bloated like this. Yesterday it wasn't this bad but the day before was and so on. It's like every other day he is bloated like this but even when it isn't this bad he is still bloated for a betta.

I am really thankful for your continued help. I wouldn't being doing half the stuff right for him if it wasn't for you.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, I feel like that's more constipation issues, continue to feed him though otherwise he won't have much energy. I don't remember, had you tried any daphnia before? Petsmart has some in a little container also with freeze dried bloodworms and brine shrimp, they might have frozen ones as well. But Daphnia is a nice natural laxative that might help him out as well.

I hope he can make it over this bump for sure! He looks pretty good for a DT, not too many spinal issues it looks like, nothing looks terribly cramped or anything so that's good at least. Hopefully we can clear this up for him! All I can suggest for now is just try to see if you can find any Daphnia, that might help. And then just continue the Epsom salts and hope that helps flush him as well.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #19 
MorganC2010

Ok sounds good! I work at a petstore that sells daphnia I just haven't gone directly home after work in a while to get it because I've been meaning to get it since I brought Sammie home. So I'll try and get some tomorrow. But until then I'll continue giving him 1 pellet a day and continue the treatment. As soon as I get done here I'm doing a water change and adding more salt. Thanks again for your help I'm very thankful for it.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #20 
MorganC2010

Well I just wanted to give you an update lilnaugrim! Since finishing his Epsom treatment back in October Sammie is doing great! He is now in a heated 4gal filtered tank,since he is healthy enough to get out of the qt tank. He is no longer bloated like he was, other than the occasional bloated from eatting too much, but that only happens once in a while. His seems vibrant and healthy! He still seems to have a bit of trouble swimming downward from time to time and likes to hang out at surface and mid level. I've never seen him go to the bottom at all. So I think this was just some lasting effects of when he was ill or possibly just part of his twin-tail deformation.

I hope it's ok for posting on such an old tread but I wanted to give lilnaugrim an update and anyone else who might have had an eye on this thread. Again Sammie and I thank you all for your help!

Tags
new betta, sick, swim bladder disease