Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #1 
shannonpwns

Stomach torn open, still alive...

I'm not going to fill out the sticky, because I don't think it is pertinent to the situation.

Today I've noticed that Lila was seriously injured at some point during the last few days. A few days ago I returned my brat Jewel to the 20 gal sorority after spawning, yesterday Jewel seemed to have a small injury to her mouth, I didn't think much of it because she was acting fine and it was a TINY injury. And today I see Lila with something hanging off her tummy, I thought she was just pooping, but I looked closer anyways and almost puked. Her stomach is torn open and stuff is hanging out. She's acting completely normal though, but I'm terribly concerned! I've removed her into a 1/2 gal tank just now, and got the best pics I could manage.

What can I do for her? Can she survive this? I only have AQ salt and Epsom salt. I am on my way to the store right now, so if I need to get any meds I can get them right now. I can't believe this...

I guess Jewel will be living in the 5 gal in my living room, since I need to move the boy in there to a smaller tank because the tall hex tank is too high for him and his long fins.

I'm sorry the images are so large, but I am on my ipad and it's really a pain to resize, and I'm too freaked out to even deal with that right now... :(

shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #2 
sainthogan

I would message Sakura8 on this one, she can help you much better than many of us can.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #3 
shannonpwns

With the help of some great people on Facebook, we've come to the conclusion that she has been disemboweled, and there is not much I can do except watch for infection. I've slowly been watching her intestine come out farther and farther like a ball of yarn untangling. She is still alive and acting like nothing is wrong though. I'm not sure if keeping her alive is inhumane, if she has no chance of survival. But I'm hanging onto that thread of hope, until I start seeing that she is suffering.

This was her last night, you can see that the part that has poo in it, was hanging out farther, encased in the intestine.

And about an hour ago when I checked on her, that whole part had fallen off, you can't see in the previous picture, but as more came out, it dwindled away to just a thread, and so that broke off. I was hopeful, but then now, there is more intestine hanging out.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #4 
shannonpwns

Old 10-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Keep her water clean and moderately warm (I would go for 78... To warm and bacteria thrive, to cold and immunity suffers), and stress levels low. There is a chance she will survive, so stay optimistic. I would keep a broad spectrum antibiotic on hand like kanaplex, but only use it if infection becomes present.

If you are going to feed her, I would stick with small amounts of soft (frozen or live) foods. I think this would help prevent further damage, but it would be nice for someone like Sakura8 or LittleBlueFishlets to weigh in on it...
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #6 
shannonpwns

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I don't have kanaplex, or any medications at all. Petsmart doesn't carry it, and neither does my LFS. Would something like Bettafix work as an antibiotic if it comes to that before I receive the kanaplex I just ordered online?

I tried to feed her last night, but she wouldn't even eat, so I'm just going to leave her alone for the weekend and try feeding again on Monday. Or I may not feed her at all until she begins to heal, I don't know if digesting food will harm her further.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Bettafix isn't exactly a useful medication... If she gets an infection, you're going to need something stronger. When will the kanaplex arrive?

You could try feeding her daily, and just removing it if she doesn't.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Poor thing.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

Hope she will get better:(
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #10 
shannonpwns

It should be here by Tuesday. I'm going to keep her water extremely clean. I've been doing 100% WC 1-2 times a day since yesterday, and I plan on keeping that up as long as needed.

Hopefully she can hang on until then, and not get an infection.