Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #1 
carlos puron

high ph on tank how to treat it?

i guys well I have this 75 gallons tank I bought it amd ran without fish for 3 weeks I bought some guppies and tetras and I added one of my bettas in there well I came home two days ago And cancerberus was dead yesterday two of my guppies So went to get my water tested and they told me I have high ph so they sold me a chemical idk why did that happen the set up is aqeon 55/75 filter . airpump for a 10 gal. Heater up to 78f on plants java fern java moss. red root floaters. and another plant idk the name in that one I'll post a pic. light keeps on during 10 hrs and all I have where those fish so how can I low ph and caused it ? Thanks for reading

Mystery plantName:  20131002_170617.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  40.5 KB
Name:  20131002_170634.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  50.6 KB
Name:  20131002_170717.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  38.7 KB

The whole set up
Name:  1380752084575.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  65.7 KB
carlos puron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

What is the exact Ph? Also, when you let the tank run for 3 wks did you add an ammonia source to build/feed the BB? What is your water change schedule & how much water do you change? I highly doubt the fish died because of the Ph. I would invest in a liquid water test kit such as the API Master Freshwaer Kit & test your water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates. Unless you are planning to breed or want very sensitive fish your Ph is probably fine. Fish will adapt to the Ph so long as its stable.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #3 
carlos puron

When I was running it without fish I added a little bit of food I tested the water before adding my fish theybsaid it was good I haven't buy a test kit but I'll get one today they toldme that amonia was way to high and every thing else was fine I'll get thebkit today and test it I'll post the results btw if it's not ph what could be kiling them ?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #4 
carlos puron

Oh ph was something about 8
Old 10-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #5 
carlos puron

Not sure ut was the last color of the chart
Old 10-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Tetras are usually soft water fish and may not do as well if the pH was too high. However, guppies actually do better in harder water with a higher pH and bettas are quite adaptable and should not have any real issue with it either.

I will not darken the door of any store that focuses exclusively on pH as some sort of 'problem'. Ammonia and nitrite are what can kill fish, rarely does pH come into it, unless you are dealing with sensitive wild-caught fish.

Trying to chemically alter your pH generally does more harm than good. If you have water with a high carbonate hardness (KH) it will have a greater buffering capacity and be more resistant to fluctuations in pH. This will be very difficult to undo using chemicals and more importantly, difficult to maintain stability in both hardness and pH.

Right now I would be more focussed on testing for ammonia and nitrite if you are getting high readings for ammonia, as both can be fatal to fish at very low levels.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

If the ammonia was high then most likely ammonia poisoning killed the fish. It sounds like your tank was not fully cycled, you then add the fish so the tank starts cycling "harder" so to speak. If you're not doing water changes to keep the ammonia/nitrites <.5 then your fish are being harmed which can lead to death.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #8 
carlos puron

They started dying before the first water change then I did a water change when I first noticed it but I still having losses
Old 10-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #9 
carlos puron

They do not have the master kit so I'm taking stripes with me hoping that would help
Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

Beautiful tank! I agree with Shellieca's recommendation of getting the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It's often on sale at Amazon. (Just checked, and it's currently $16.99 there.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote