Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #51 
litelboyblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
The fish would not be sold without it's pair, once the fish are filmed Jodi rarely splits a pair, I have never known her to and I have asked on occasions.
oh ok well good thing you mentioned that i never bought from jodi but i see all her fish and i wish i lived in Australia
litelboyblu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #52 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber View Post
I am not disagreeing with you here - telling someone that their fish is pretty isn't going to help them understand, but my point (and I think the point some others were trying to make) was that you were coming off a bit too harshly. There is a difference in educating newbies and "tearing them apart" as you mentioned. Not everyone responds well to harsh criticism. I'm not sure if this person wanted to show this fish, or if they were asking because they would like to breed it.
Ya'll read too much emotion into my replies. I am relaying facts. My personal and professional life I process a lot of information and need to communicate it quickly. So everything is to the point. There are no hard feelings.. really. If you can't stand up to my *harsh* criticism here, how in the world do you think you can handle your fish really evaluated??

That said, there needs to be some respect for this section to be educational. When I say the fish does not belong here.. why get emotional and offended. That should tell you the fish is not show quality. I have given opinion on several fish here and the purpose is to be the greatest education to all. So you have to wonder why this one was different. Presentation and the fact this section was not taken seriously. Maybe I should be offended.. lol. Now enough..
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #53 
Deanna01

If I could mention, in defense of Basement Bettas (whom I don't actually know in real life and haven't dealt with, I might mention), she is a professional betta judge. I edit novels for a living, so I am well accustomed to needing to tiptoe around feelings while giving people an honest opinion. When you do something professionally, you become accustomed, though, to looking at particular points, and if you are normally allowed only a small amount of text in which to evaluate something, you do become terse; it's simply part-and-parcel of the job. The people who are best at this type of work generally do work hard to find at least one thing to compliment, as well, simply so as not to discourage participants. I haven't followed enough of Basement Bettas replies to know whether she does such a thing, but the work is being accomplished even if she doesn't.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #54 
babystarz

I would just like to point out that it's entirely possible to walk into *multiple* local stores in my area and leave with show quality Thai imports. So snubbing "pet store fish" is a little behind the times, especially considering some of us have vibrant Asian immigrant communities with access to high quality breeding stock straight from winners in IBC shows in Asia. There are breeders who specialize in helping other people breed and show who own actual stores and sell their show bettas in said stores for others to breed so they can show the offspring. There are two of these stores on the same block here in my area.

I'm not sure why people would want to show their fish. It sounds like tons of work and no fun anyway.

Last edited by babystarz; 10-03-2013 at 04:46 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #55 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
I would just like to point out that it's entirely possible to walk into *multiple* local stores in my area and leave with show quality Thai imports. So snubbing "pet store fish" is a little behind the times, especially considering some of us have vibrant Asian immigrant communities with access to high quality breeding stock straight from winners in IBC shows in Asia. There are breeders who specialize in helping other people breed and show who own actual stores and sell their show bettas in said stores for others to breed so they can show the offspring. There are two of these stores on the same block here in my area.

I'm not sure why people would want to show their fish. It sounds like tons of work and no fun anyway.
It dose sound like lots of work and unless you are at the show I don't think it would be fun more stressful then anything.

I think when most people talk about "pet store" bettas they are talking about the big chain stores. Petsmart and petco can have some nice fish but far from show fish. If you can find a good mom and pop store in this day an age support it as much as you can. Most people only have stores like petco to get fish from.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #56 
Basement Bettas

Pet Store is a *type*. There are lots of that type for sale on AB right now for good money. And as I breeder I *am* going to snub those fish. Makes no difference who is selling them so why fault me for it. I am looking for a particular type of fish and I have a very hard eye.

The fish was presented with blurry photos and head on. Op didn't care enough to present the fish in the best possible light so yeah, gonna tell her what I think. Email a top breeder in any animal and ask their opinion of your animal presented in such a fashion and I doubt you get a reply. When you are used to dealing with quality stock and people who care and are really interested in learning that take the time to make the best presentation.. you will take the same time to help them out. There was no respect for what was being asked.

You may have access to a shop that specializes in quality Bettas. You know darn well you are an exception. Fish that show up in petco and petsmart are bought for about twelve cents. Do you think if that pet shop fish were not plain and common it would have been sold at a higher price? the breeders know what they can get $30 for and the ones that are worth a dime.

And I help people breed and work toward the show ring. Got a few right now working with I hope will be ready in the spring. I give a lot to the hobby.. just choose to do it with breeders breeding for a goal. I used to ride horses. I worked with a trainer. But I was a far cry from Olympic material. There is room for both in the horse world and in bettas. Why in the world get after me for wanting to be those specialized few at the top?
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #57 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
Pet Store is a *type*. There are lots of that type for sale on AB right now for good money. And as I breeder I *am* going to snub those fish. Makes no difference who is selling them so why fault me for it. I am looking for a particular type of fish and I have a very hard eye.

The fish was presented with blurry photos and head on. Op didn't care enough to present the fish in the best possible light so yeah, gonna tell her what I think. Email a top breeder in any animal and ask their opinion of your animal presented in such a fashion and I doubt you get a reply. When you are used to dealing with quality stock and people who care and are really interested in learning that take the time to make the best presentation.. you will take the same time to help them out. There was no respect for what was being asked.

You may have access to a shop that specializes in quality Bettas. You know darn well you are an exception. Fish that show up in petco and petsmart are bought for about twelve cents. Do you think if that pet shop fish were not plain and common it would have been sold at a higher price? the breeders know what they can get $30 for and the ones that are worth a dime.

And I help people breed and work toward the show ring. Got a few right now working with I hope will be ready in the spring. I give a lot to the hobby.. just choose to do it with breeders breeding for a goal. I used to ride horses. I worked with a trainer. But I was a far cry from Olympic material. There is room for both in the horse world and in bettas. Why in the world get after me for wanting to be those specialized few at the top?
please, don't feel everyone is ganging up, I know my guy would be a total fail in the show standards, they wouldn't even get him to flair, lol, he is just way to laid back, always has been. I think the thread details need to be more specific and maybe the pictures that you precented should be left on the thread as an example of how any fish being posted for a critical review needs to be presented, your input would be most helpful to people who are genuinely interested. What I noticed when I looked at your pictures is how perfectly even the blue ones halfmoon tail was and perfect straight lines creating that perfect half crescent shape. I know a little about show fish I kept high quality koi for a while in the UK and it's, scales, skin quality, shape, colour definition, pattern placement, so much to it, so I can understand.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #58 
babystarz

Quote:
I get that I may be an exception right now, but these setups are becoming more common. All I'm saying is that if a fish was bought in a shop, this does should not automatically preclude it from having genes good enough to produce show quality offspring. Obviously Petsmat/Petco/Walmart/whatever other chain store are not ever going to have show quality fish any more than they will have show quality dogs, and I am not dispyuting it. But there are an increasing amount of independent, owner-run shops in metro areas producing fish with an eye for quality over quantity, who have showed in the IBC and know their standards. It's not just here, I've had the opportunity to meet shop owners in NYC, Sacramento, and Vancouver doing the same thing who have just started out doing this. I think it's an important distinction to make simply because this is the type of business that everyone in this hobby can benefit from, including the fish, who are kept in much better conditions than the usual dirty cup. To be able to walk into a store and be able to ask questions of someone who is both an expert in betta husbandry and shows is a pretty awesome opportunity for people in all facets of keeping these fish, because it is such a departure from the big business setup most of us are familiar with. Making these things more accessible to the masses doesn't mean your approach is wrong at all, nor did I intend to suggest it was. I apologize if I came across that way.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #59 
megaredize

I've been following this post for who knows why and i really dont know why everyone is still on the subject. Said fish is not a show quaility fish 'nuff said move on. The way basement bettas handled seems fine with me. I wouldn't want someone to sugar coat an answer. people who dont know much about showing bettas shouldnt even be posting in this section without expecting maybe a some what harsh response. I know i wouldnt never post ap ic of one of my fish here and as is this show quality!? lol because i would know a bunch of people who are experts were going to rip the fish apart. This is serious work and takes a lot of time and effort and there is no time to be nice to spare feelings. Plus the pics were awful like come on. how can you judge anything on those pics. if the person wanted to be judge properly they would have done their own homework and took the proper pictures and presented themselves appropriately.

I think everything has debated on this enough. if you dont like what someone has to say then ignore it. that can go for everything on any forum why bother arguing. im sure i will get some hate for this but i will IGNORE it. this will be my only post on this matter. im not trying to be an ass just honest sometimes the truth isnt nice
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #60 
Sakura8

Okay, enough everyone.

I'm only going to say this once:

To people who don't show: Please remember that those who DO show have a deep passion for what they do and are knowledgeable in their chosen field. They take time out of a busy schedule to answer questions here and share their expertise when they don't have to. Please also remember that betta showing is not about how pretty or how colorful the fish but about its conformation. When deciding whether or not to ask if your fish is show-worthy, please consider this.

To people who DO show: Please remember that those who DON'T show do not yet have the same understanding of showing that you do when formulating your replies. There are ways to be honest without being brutally blunt or rude. Please keep in mind that many people come here to ask whether the fish is show-worthy because they don't necessarily understand what show-worthy means in the IBC. For many people, this is their only source of information about IBC and shows and it would benefit the organization greatly if questions were met with courtesy, not criticism.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote