Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #1681 
Quinn

Aww so tiny!
I have been raising my guy on crushed NLS pellets and he has done great! I didn't crush them completely into a powder, but I did make the peices very fine. Usually just break it up with my finger nail (clean hands). Now at around 3 months he still gets them broken in half for feedings as the betta formula is still too large, in fact sometimes I break it up for my older male as well!
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #1682 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I just split my NLS in half for my little baby who I've had for about 4 months now and his growth is still stunted unfortunately. I didn't do as many water changes as I should have when they were younger.

Yes, baby Betta's excrete a growth stunting hormone that, in the wild helps them grow up to be the biggest, baddest Betta around. But in the home aquarium, that backfire's and that's why you need to do daily/every other day water changes for babies so they don't get stunted so much. Even still, they won't generally grow like a breeder would have them grow since they've already been through so much and are already stunted by being in those cups so you just have to do your best. Eventually they will grow up, it just takes a lot longer and more care than normal.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #1683 
fidget

I love all the baby betta threads. It's so cool to see how fast everyone's babies are growing!
I crushed up pellets and gave it to them. Feeding them really makes you grasp how small they are. I also gave them a couple of tiny pieces of a blood worm. Thing Two may look small, but he eats like crazy!
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #1684 
TiffanyP

So - my double tail baby Fiyero hasn't eaten in a week. He'll take a pellet in his mouth and spit it right back out. Its not abnormal for him to do it for a day or two while he's constipated, but it's lasted a week this time. This time around his color is fading and he's frequently found resting in his cave... He isn't bloated or swollen and he still gets excited when I put my face up by the tank - he also hasn't pooped in about 6 days. Do you think he's acting like this because he's constipated? (he won't eat daphnia either, I've tried) Or do you think it's something else?
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #1685 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyP View Post
So - my double tail baby Fiyero hasn't eaten in a week. He'll take a pellet in his mouth and spit it right back out. Its not abnormal for him to do it for a day or two while he's constipated, but it's lasted a week this time. This time around his color is fading and he's frequently found resting in his cave... He isn't bloated or swollen and he still gets excited when I put my face up by the tank - he also hasn't pooped in about 6 days. Do you think he's acting like this because he's constipated? (he won't eat daphnia either, I've tried) Or do you think it's something else?
I had this happen with my boy Tony as well. It seemed to be a phase where he would easily get constipated, most likely from a deformity inside him or something. I also tried everything but he wouldn't take anything except frozen bloodworms which don't help constipation at all so I basically didn't feed him for about two weeks or so when he'd refuse other foods. He's fine now though, so I think it's more of just a phase or something :-/
Old 10-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #1686 
TiffanyP

I hope it's just a phase, the silly little fish is worrying me lol He's giving his BFF, the thermometer, the evil eye and darting at it haha so I know he's feeling halfway okay at least :)
Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #1687 
TiffanyP

Today is day 10 or 11 of no eating and no pooping for Fiyero, and he's really starting to worry me. There's no white fuzzy stuff on him and he's not pineconing, no visible issues except for color loss. He's lost a vast majority of his color though, he's a dull brown now instead of vivid blue and his stress stripes are back. He's mainly laying at the bottom of his tank and not swimming around much, and in the past couple of hours he's been laying on his side at the bottom. I see him swim to the top to get air every so often still, but then it's right back down to the bottom. I know he's constipated, he hasn't pooped in close to 2 weeks, but he won't eat anything - not even daphnia. Lilnaugrim, did your guy do this? Anyone have any thoughts of what I should do?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #1688 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No, Tony got bad but he never laid on the bottom, if anything he just floated a lot. Have you tried Epsom Salt to maybe get his bowel's moving? You can lower the water line as well if you haven't done so, so he can reach the top easier.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #1689 
TiffanyP

I haven't used epsom salt yet - but I might give it a go. Thank you :)
Old 10-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #1690 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If he's still under an inch, I would start off with .25 teaspoon per gallon to just start to make sure he can handle it since they are still babies. If he's still having trouble after roughly 3-4 day's on .25 tsp/gal then bump up to .50 tsp/gal. Make sure when you do a water change, you re-add whatever you took out and always dissolve before putting it in

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta