Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #1 
NadegeT

First betta, and color help

Here is my betta, Todd, that I got a week ago at my local pet store. This is my very first betta and I have been having trouble identifying him, I am thinking he is a tricolor veiled teil, could anyone confirm or deny this for me? Thank you :)
Attached Images

NadegeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #2 
BlackCanary

Hes beautiful he looks like a veil tail to me But im still a newbie too and dont know much about color
BlackCanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #3 
Laki

Multicolor veiltail :)

He looks a bit worn out, give him time to adjust to his surroundings. Make sure you have a heater and don't feed him for a day or two (looks like his belly is already pretty full).

Any names?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:02 AM   #4 
NadegeT

Thank you for your advice :)

His name is Todd, he is in a 6 liters tank, with a heater at the moment. They were kept in a pretty bad condition at the store, small cups, very close to each other, and not so clean water. Todd was the most active and the one reacting the most to me, so that's why I picked him. I was told to feed him 2 pellets a day, is that too much? He always eats them super fast though, so I was assuming he was hungry.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #5 
Laki

There are so many types of pellets out there and they're all pretty much different sizes -_- (I have 3 different brands of pellet and they're all diff). SO what kind do you have?

Stay away from any pellets that are loaded with fillers like wheat or other non-meat sources. Bettas are commonly called carnivores, but in fact, they're insectivores. Your pellets should be 30% protein.

Some fabulous starter brands are Omega One betta buffet, New Life Spectrum and Aqueon betta pellets. You should also pick up some frozen insects like bloodworms, daphnia or mosquito larvae if you want to see a new side of your fish!! haha they go wild. Avoid Tetra brand food, Hikari and some of the other ones they try to sell in the betta isle.

We will decide about your feedings next. I feed mine once a day but they both get about 4-6 pieces depending on what I'm feeding. 2 won't starve your fish but it's probably okay to feed a little more.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #6 
NadegeT

I have Tetra pellets, they're pretty small, so I'm thinking of maybe giving him a little more than 2 a day, I am relatively new to betta fish keeping but it seems very little to me. They're the ones in the picture. I'll try to see if I can find different/better pellets. An aphid fell in the tank earlier, and my fish ate it, he went so crazy, that was fun to watch!
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #7 
Laki

Live foods are the best, as insectivores they really are built for eating live foods. Some commonly kept ones are wingless fruit flies, blackworms, white worms, daphnia, mosquito larva and some others I think. They're pretty easy to culture, though I am not speaking from experience. I think some people even buy those sea monkey eggs and feed those!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #8 
bambijarvis

You can get live black worms pretty cheap and they make yummy treat for bettas.
Fozen foods are also good.
a lot of people seem to like feeding NLS betta pellets or growth as the main diet and giving the live/frozen foods as treats once or twice a week.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #9 
Tank Gurl

He'll be a pretty VT when he gets better. I feed my guys 2 pellets/1 dried bloodworm in the morning then 1 pellet/1 bloodworm at night. Getting dried daphnia tomorrow to switch it up, i'm returning the Tetra brand bloodworms and getting a better brand. Do you have any recent photos of Todd?
Tank Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote