Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #11 
fawx

Oh, it's not your fault! I know people might argue this, but that fish probably loved you, even though it's a fish. xD You were aware and cared for it like a great person! You can turn this around by using your knowledge and experience to rescue a sick one, it is stressful but feels awesome when they get better. <3
fawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #12 
MyBettaJack

Very wise, blue fish, and well said! I completely agree!
MyBettaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #13 
MyBettaJack

Update: Jack did, indeed, die from ammonia poisoning. I've been using my master kit to monitor my tank, and there's been significant ammonia spikes. I'm just sorry Betta Jack suffered due to my ignorance. Learning stuff the hard way stinks! Thanks to each and every one of you for the words of support and encouragement! This site continues to be a source of knowledge to me........
Old 10-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

so sorry for you loss:( Just don't be discourage from getting another one. We all get through that . We all betta lovers who lost bettas before. And if you truly love those creatures and care about them the way you are then definitely have another one. And its look like you really love bettas.
I think may be just lets try to figure out what went wrong. Give us more information. I personally don't cycle any of my tanks. So if your tank 2-3.5 gall you don't have to cycle. I don't even cycle my 5 gall. But if you cycling here is many people who can give you advice. Just give us more information.
Sorry for the question , how long you had him?
How big is your tank?
Do you have ammonia in your tap water?
What additives you used?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #15 
MyBettaJack

Thank you. I have another thread on here about the troubles I'm having with cycling, water testing results, and other info. Maybe you can look it up and give me some insight. I think I'm on the right path so fingers crossed! :) I've since looked at other betta's and none of them really jumped out at me like Jack did. I don't know, maybe someday when the timing is right....
Old 10-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #16 
hollyk

Just a thought, but did you have any live plants in Jack's tank? If not, that might be something to try in the future. Of course, they don't replace the need for regular water changes (as I'm sure you do anyways :) ) but they do act as a biological filter and help to keep ammonia at a minimum. I just ordered a bunch of the little moss balls- they came in a pack of 5 for about $6 including shipping, on eBay. Which works, because I have 4 bettas and one more on the way! But in my experience with other plants (Betta Bulbs from Petco, which work great) they do keep the ammonia level down.
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #17 
ANHEL123

You have good help in your other thread. I don't cycle any of my tanks and i am not experienced with that.But Hallyx helping you on your other thread is experienced with cycling. But also you have 5 gall with 3 guppies and an African dwarf frog. Its really overcrowded for betta.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Jack. He was lucky to have such a caring, loving owner.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #19 
MyBettaJack

Anhel123, I got the guppies AFTER jack died because I didn't wanna stare at his empty tank anymore. There's no way I would've put all that in a five gallon. It was just jack and his frog. That wouldn't have been fair to any of the fish to overcrowd them. Good call though.....
Old 10-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #20 
ANHEL123

Sorry i messed up, but it only because i really wish you got another one:) It kind of sad to see when people love fishy and hesitate to buy a betta because last one died. So may be i messed up for the reason, and i hope i can change your mind. Believe me once you bring a betta home they appreciate it so much and will proof it :)
They so lonely and too beautiful to be for so long in those not changed cups .