Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #1 
MadameMisfit

Divided tanks

I'm thinking about getting another betta, a female this time and I was wondering if I were to get one of those divided tanks, could she be neighbors with my male betta?

I don't want any courting going on or my female to be full of eggs (doesn't understand betta mating :/).

So... could they live in peace... together but separate?
MadameMisfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

They can live together in a divided tank but I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 5 gallons. That would give them 2.5 gallons apiece. Also, thhe divider needs to be secure so one doesn't get into the other one's space.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

Agree with the above.. your female will have eggs regardless (you can't really turn something like that off LOL) but she'll either drop them or reabsorb them.. no problemo.

I like to see divided tanks of at least 6 gallons with a dark divider so the fish can't see each other.. seeing each other in a small tank may be too stressful for them. I actually really like male/female divided tanks.. it encourages the male to "display" and bubblenest and leaves less room for getting bored and possibly tail biting.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I agree with DQ and 1fish2fish. I put the plants up against my dividers so they don't have a full view of each other. I had a female and male in a divided tank together but it didn't work out (my male kept going spastic and trying to get to my female). But like 1fish2fish said, it keeps the males occupied so if he's a tail bitter, he won't get bored.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote