Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #1 
fawx

so I got my babies...

I made a post earlier asking about general baby betta care because I was thinking about getting a baby. Well, today, my parents went out with my sister (and they took the car) so I biked two miles down a highway, got hit in the face by bugs and plants, felt my legs burn till they went numb, and got fish.

I go into petco and try to pick out a few of the bigger babies. The microscopic ones, well, I'm not ready for that. I immediately picked a white one with a tail that looks like it will become a double tail! I was going to choose another white one, but instead chose a grey-ish one with a purple/red pigment on the anal fins.

I had to take them out of their death cups and show the employee how to tie a fish bag.. -_- I filled them with air for breathing and extra cushioning and carefully put them in my backpack. It was a longggg ride home. Not even including how tired I was, I had to move around every rock and was a heck of a lot more careful..

I finally get home and wince as I pull the bags out. The white one didn't move.. I couldn't breathe, but then suddenly it did. Jerk. The dark one zipped around!

I don't know genders yet so I'm calling the white one Yin, and the dark one Yang. They're pretty neutral names!

the two together they were small, so I figured, "There's no way they can be aggressive yet!" Hmmm, no, they were good for 5 minutes then Yang swam too close to Yin. He swam at him, and he might of bit him so I separated them immediately. (I'm wondering though if it was just a dominance thing and if its safe to put them together again? Let me know, cause I'd rather have them together incase one ends up a female, I'd like them to be 'friends')

I gave them each a teenie piece of bloodworm incase they haven't been fed, since we all know how pet stores are. Both were piggies!

I prepared an old Kritter keeper I had for Wrigley, divided it, put in some gravel, and then added water and heated it for an hour. It was a pretty good temperature, not freezing cold, comfortably warm, so I let them acclimate. 30 minutes later after adding a few drops of water every 5 minutes, they were released!

Yin is definitely going to be my big pain in the butt. He squeezed through the divider so I had to redo it. I was looking and couldn't find him, I figured, "He's clear, so keep looking closer" then I see him happily looking at me from the other side of the divider! Thankfully Yang didn't bite him.

them again (before the 'incident')
fawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #2 
Chachi

Love their names!! I got two Petco babies about 2 weeks ago and I am enjoying them so much. I'm sure you will too!!
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #3 
TiffanyP

Even if one ends up being a female they shouldn't be housed together unless the tank is divided - bettas are solitary fish, or for females I think 6 is the minimum amount to have together. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have a sorority myself).

Be sure, depending on tank size, to do water changes either daily or every other day as they secrete a growth stunting hormone and you want them to grow properly :)

I do love their names though - very suitable for 2 babies :)
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yup, regardless of their genders, two bettas cannot be housed together. Males cannot be kept with any other bettas, and female bettas require a group of four or (preferably) more and a well designed tank.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #5 
PetMania

Tiffany, you are correct one the 6 females, though 8-9 would be more ideal.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #6 
fawx

Oh, I'm aware. I just meant if I ever wanted to breed them, which the chances of that happening are slim, I wanted them to be somewhat familiar.

The water is at 78-80 with a heater that stays around that temperature (you can't adjust it) is that okay? I'm really worried about them haha.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

78-80 is great. Slightly higher would promote faster growth, but there is no problem with what it's at.

And nope, 4-5 is generally recognized as the minimum number of females for a sorority, though more is usually better.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #8 
fawx

It won't delay growth, right? I don't know if I can afford an adjustable one, but I might be able to return this..
Should I stick the disc in at night to bring it up, then take it out while I'm at class the next morning?