Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #1 
Minai

New Betta :/

Hey all,

So yesterday morning my betta met an untimely demise with the cat. I took it for what it was, and was getting ready to convert the tank to a plant tank, when suddenly my mother in law bought me a new betta "on a whim".

I have always kept and adored veiltail bettas. I find them to be very easy going, curious, energetic and generally even tempered. My new fish is a twin tail halfmoon. I have never kept halfmoons, but I have heard that they are a pretty energetic and grumpy breed of betta. Is this true? I don't know what kind of personalities they have, although I would assume it would be about the same. I feel I may be a bit impartial to him too, since I did not pick him out.
Any advice?

Below:
Top - Levi (RIP)
Bottom - Sushi
Attached Images

Minai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #2 
Niece

Well I have a double tail halfmoon, and he is pretty grumpy lol. Flares at anything that comes up to the tank.
Niece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #3 
GinjaHaZ

I have a regular HM. He never flares and just twitches like 2 of my other bettas (a VT and CT) do when some gets too close to their tank. My VT, now he will flare at things. So I think they all have different personalities that really don't have anything to do with tail type. That's just me though. lol But he's very beautiful by the way. :)
GinjaHaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #4 
peachii

I have the cutest red/brownish double tail. He is the happiest and most friendly betta we have I think.

From the looks of it, your veiltail had really long fins. It seems she tried to match the color and length of fins as close as she could find at the pet store. They are different but remarkably similiar. If you feel you can't bond with him, find him a new home and then after you get a new one already, tell her that he died.

Was an awfully thoughtful thing for a mother in law to do :)
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #5 
Minai

I thought it was a nice gesture as well considering my husband and I had a pretty rough week. I am appreciative of him, and he is very cute, he just flares at everything lol. I am trying to bond with him, but I think he's more interested in playing and "claiming his territory" at the moment. I am sure it will be fine and work out. He just needs time to adjust to his surroundings I suppose :)
Minai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #6 
cowboy

1. That was kind of her to do
2. I'm impressed she paid enough attention to what the other fish looked like. She matched them up pretty good
3. Enjoy the new guy. Love the name
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #7 
blufish425

Aww, that was very kind of her, and he is very pretty! Even though you didn't pick him out, just remember that he must have come to you for a reason. Good Luck with him :)
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote