Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #1 
tas

Rescued Goldfish... Heeeeelp!

Hi everyone! A few weeks ago, I rescued 3 goldfish from a resident who was moving out (I'm an RA). She had them in a 1 gallon bowl which is now housing my betta until I get a bigger one for him this weekend. I put them in a 10 gallon tank (I know it's too small, but it's all I've got for now -- I'm trying to give one goldie away to a friend). Anywho, I was afraid they would die in the bowl and put them in the 10 gallon tank with a filter, but I did baaaaddd and didn't cycle it first..... I know, I suck.

They've been in there a little under a week, and I've done a partial water change, but I'm afraid the ammonia and nitrite levels are too high (I don't have a test kit yet, but will try to get one soon). So my question is, should I take them out of the tank and put them in a 4 gallon rescue container until it is fully cycled? I've heard that you can just leave them in there, but I like the little weirdos and don't want it to be MORE detrimental to their health!!

Oh, their names are Zanzibar, Cubby, and Winston. I'm at a loss for what to do now that would be best for them -- thanks for any advice!
tas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

First off, you do not suck... The fact you rescued the goldfish and care about them proves it.

The ten gallon is far from ideal, but it will work temporarily and is better then the bowl for sure. I would simply up water changes to 50% every second or third day. That will help lower ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. Hopefully you will be able to upgrade soon.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #3 
tas

Thanks, Matt. I'm hoping to get a bigger one for Christmas, or maybe hijack one from a friend, hah. I'll try the 50% every few days like you suggested. Thank yooouuu!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Craigslist has good deal sometimes too :).
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #5 
tas

Ah, I associate Craiglist with murder and death. Should I maybe not think that way? Heheheh, I'll try it!
Old 10-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #6 
rickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas View Post
Ah, I associate Craiglist with murder and death. Should I maybe not think that way? Heheheh, I'll try it!
You only find a murderer once on Craiglist. Just use good seance when dealing with people you done know.

Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe or store.
Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home.
Be especially careful when buying/selling high value items don't take a couple of grand with you.
Tell a friend or family member where you're going.
Take your cell phone along.
Consider having a BIG friend accompany you.
Trust your instincts.

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #7 
tilli94

Lol about the Craigslist killer, that's the response I get from my family every time I mention Craigslist. Just be cautious, like Rick said and I always find it helpful to google the location they give me and then relay that to family and friends so they have a specific location of where you are, if the location worries you, don't go. Also, it's not a bad idea to talk to the seller on the phone before agreeing to anything, that way if they say they're a 25 year old woman you get a better idea of if they're telling the truth. Plus, don't give any personal info about yourself and its not being paranoid to carry pepper spray. Good luck, I Hope you find something!

Last edited by tilli94; 10-04-2013 at 06:38 AM.
tilli94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #8 
ehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
First off, you do not suck... The fact you rescued the goldfish and care about them proves it.

The ten gallon is far from ideal, but it will work temporarily and is better then the bowl for sure. I would simply up water changes to 50% every second or third day. That will help lower ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. Hopefully you will be able to upgrade soon.
this is the truth.
ehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

Prime and Amquel plus will reduce the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate but I think it only does so for about 48 hours before you have to redose. Water changes are better but if you cant get to them...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote