Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #21 
AGUILAR3

Do Plakats and Reg bettas have the same body or are Plakats an entirely different fish?

I ask because Ive seen some gorgeous plakats on aquabid that I wouldn't mind having then when I visited my local Petco, they had a slew of plakats and nticed that most were fat body plakats with short fins. They were same length as a reg betta but with a noticeably fatter and taller body. I was expecting to see a regular sized betta but with short fins.
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #22 
Laki

I have a plakat and she's so zoomy in her 5g. She's quick and active, never had a problem with her tail snagging bc it's short like a regular aquarium fish.

I have a young deltatail now. First time with a tail heavier than VT. So far, it's manageable but he does get pushed around by the filter (which I baffled)

I wanted another plakat but the delta boy appealed to me bc he was bred by a local breeder. Actually, both my current fish were bred locally so I got to know the breeder and their stock and methods.

As for body form, I think they're pretty much the same as all betta splendens since they are all under the splendens group. You will see variations in back ridge and fins due to breeding.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #23 
beautiful Betta

Aguilar3 thanks for your question and input.

Laki, thanks for your advise. Your girl looks a lovely colour, assuming that is your girl in the avatar, lol.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #24 
Laki

Thank you! Yes my avatar is Osha. Steel blue Plakat with metallic/mild dragon. (lilaugrim confirmed it but I cannot remember!)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #25 
Polkadot

My beautiful Plakat boy Mako is a round tailed Plakat and he is alot bigger and more solid than my Veiltail boys & Peanut & Piglet are both big boys,Button is my little weenie boy,he stayed little.But yes,just speaking for my Plakat boy he is much more solid,has a bigger face,is wider & longer than my VT boys.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #26 
twolovers101

My hmpk is so much more active than my other long finned fish, he zooms around his 10gal frequently and unlike the other two, doesn't like to stay in one spot very long, I haven't ever seen him stop moving unless he was sleeping lol

He's also the most aggressive of my boys... not sure if that goes for all pks though.
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #27 
Tree

I love my Plakat (pictures on my profile page) though he is an elephant ear one which makes him stand out a lot more than the others at the store I've seen. Plakats always remind me of kites with their fins...not sure why.. Hmm strange.. LOL but Aku likes to dash around too. =)
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #28 
veggiegirl

I love all bettas but plakats have to be my favourite. They are so active and their fins stay looking good long term where I find most long finned bettas get splits and are more prone to disease.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #29 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
Do Plakats and Reg bettas have the same body or are Plakats an entirely different fish?

I ask because Ive seen some gorgeous plakats on aquabid that I wouldn't mind having then when I visited my local Petco, they had a slew of plakats and nticed that most were fat body plakats with short fins. They were same length as a reg betta but with a noticeably fatter and taller body. I was expecting to see a regular sized betta but with short fins.
Plakats are traditionally thicker in the body.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #30 
snowflake311

I kept long fin bettas for 15 years. I took a 2 year break from bettas. since getting back into them I notice the fins are longer then my last hm 2 years ago. My daughter picked out a halfmoon it's her fish. He bites his tail it look awful. So that turned me off to long finned bettas.

I now only keep hm plakats and big ear plakats. They are the best. They always look good when healthy and happy their fins are always extended like most other normals fish with normal fins. The plakats are more active and just great fun.

Get a plakat and you might not go back. I personally love big ear plakats I think if the ears are not too big it looks great with the short fins.

Last edited by snowflake311; 10-16-2013 at 01:11 AM.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote