Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #1 
xShainax

Hate people guilt tripping others for the size of their tanks

So I asked on another forum about using epsom salt for Ryu who is constipated and they started to guilt trip me saying I should buy 5+ gallons for him when he heals up. I have no room for larger tanks or the money to buy them, if I did every one of my betta's would be in larger tanks. I told them that but their attitude was of "That's no excuse."
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #2 
GinjaHaZ

There's no reason for people to be like that.
I've seen some 1 and 2.5 gallons that meet all of a betta's needs.
My HM is being moved from a divided 10 gal (5gal) to a 2.65gal bc he likes smaller spaces and doesn't like being near any other fish.
GinjaHaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #3 
xShainax

Exactly. All my smaller tanks are heated and the water is changed regularly
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

I moved my betta from a 5.5 to a 2.5 and he is doing better in the 2.5..... just sayin....I think sometimes people with larger tanks for their bettas like to assert the sense of superiority from having the larger tank. By the way I said sometimes, not every time...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #5 
shannonpwns

I just had to move a male from a 5 gal hex to a 2.5 gal. He is going blind, and also seemed unhappy in the 5 gal due to its height. The 2.5 is a perfect size for him, height-wise and footprint-wise. The smaller tank will make it easier for me to feed him if he goes completely blind, and he wont have such a hard time getting to the surface for air. He is a halfmoon, and seems to have a lot of trouble with his long fins. Hes always almost bent in half when trying to turn because his fins are so heavy lol. So hopefully the smaller tank will stop him from becoming a fin biter due to frustration.

Some people are just insensitive, and they are probably assuming that small tank=less care from you. Because if you can only afford a small tank, you must not care about your fish??? :*roll eyes*
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #6 
logisticsguy

We have fish in everything from 2.5 to 35g. Bigger is usually better but many of my fish really enjoy a 2.5g. Im not ashamed to admit I have had betta in 1g containers as well. For sure more water changes but frankly many of them did just fine in the 1g. Often times the most adamant shamers of small tanks have the least experience. Pet store cups are way too small and should be done away with imo. Retailers should go to the 1g containers in the store. Its not the size that matters its how you use it.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
We have fish in everything from 2.5 to 35g. Bigger is usually better but many of my fish really enjoy a 2.5g. Im not ashamed to admit I have had betta in 1g containers as well. For sure more water changes but frankly many of them did just fine in the 1g. Often times the most adamant shamers of small tanks have the least experience. Pet store cups are way too small and should be done away with imo. Retailers should go to the 1g containers in the store. Its not the size that matters its how you use it.
+1
I don't think it would cost the stores much more money to keep the fish in simple 1g plastic containers....dump out and refill the water twice a week and the fish are healthier and look nicer to potential buyers...everyone wins ;)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #8 
Chachi

I think smaller tanks can be just fine as long as the bettas needs are met and they are cleaned often. My tanks range from 1 gallon to 2.5 gallons and my bettas seem happy and healthy. I have kept bettas this way for years and most have lived long lives with no health problems. Being in a 1 gallon tanks with the proper conditions is much better than what most bettas end up with, sadly. :(
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #9 
rickey
Banned

You know what works for you and your fish. There's not a right or wrong way.

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Mine are in 1.5 to 2.5 gallon containers.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote