Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2010, 02:32 AM   #1 
Nes1013

Question 1 gallon too big?

I recently bought a 1 gallon tank. Is that too big for a betta? Or how can i divide it into 2 seperate sections?
Nes1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:45 AM   #2 
truthequalslies

actually its too small you need atleast 2 gallons for one betta and @ least 5 gallons to keep 2 in a tank
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:55 AM   #3 
Hadouken441

I got a 5 gallon for 1 male. 1 gal is only good for a hospital tank.

Just taking a guess here, did the guys at petco///petsmart tell you that they can live in puddles and only need like a cup of water??? Just some personal experience but i never listen to anything that they say to me. But your on the right track coming here and asking questions!!
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:16 AM   #4 
reaperss06

I'm actually surprised everyone keeps saying at least 2 gallons cuz I kept mine in a .5 for a while then upgraded to a 1 gallon, and until recently my fish has been doing great.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:40 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

The water in a .5 gallon needs to be changed 2-3 times a week.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:46 AM   #6 
MollyJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaperss06 View Post
I'm actually surprised everyone keeps saying at least 2 gallons cuz I kept mine in a .5 for a while then upgraded to a 1 gallon, and until recently my fish has been doing great.
Well we've proven with prison systems that a human CAN live in a 3x5 cell, so I guess I fish could live in the equivalent.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #7 
Jupiter

1 gallon is too small, we recommend at least 2.5 gallons. 5 Gallons if you want to split it between two bettas.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #8 
Noko

Your betta sounds like it might look well, but it isn't actually what he could look like. My cousin had her big male betta in one of those small little dividable tanks, Willy (her betta) did okay, but wouldn't flare, and just sorta stayed near the bottom. She just got two other tanks that still aren't the right size (well one of them) and he would swim around more the bigger the tank got. Willy is a red and blue fish, but when he was in the small tank, he was red and grey!
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

They prefer to have enough room to move around and will be more active when they have more room.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

1 gallon is the absolute MINIMUM any betta should be kept in. Even with that you need to do water changes every other day. A .5 gallon IMO should have 100% changes everyday.

The minimum for two bettas housed together is a divided 5 gallon but even thats pushing it.

A betta can live in a .5 if you do the proper water changes but it GREATLY shortens its life expectancy. So it depends on whether you want a healthy happy fish that lives to 7 years old or a depressed fish that lives 3 years.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote