betta fish

Old 10-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #11 
xShainax

They seem content in their tanks, and that's all that matters
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #12 
rickey
Banned

I have one Betta in a Fluval Spec II (2-Gallon) and one Betta in a Fluval Edge 6 and I like the Spec much better. I don't think the Bettas care they're both healthy and happy.

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #13 
AGUILAR3

There are a lot of so called betta requirements that get confusing after a while. Tank size and heated tanks just to name a few. A lot of contradicting facts that cant go unnoticed.

I get that Thailand breeders have humid climates and extremely fast turn around time with their fish so no heaters and small containers are understandable.

However, while watching the California Betta Society live stream a few weeks back, one of the breeders here in Cali mentioned that he raises his fish in unheated outdoor ponds. Mind you it gets in the high 60s overnight. And just yesterday a Minnesota member (MN Betta Group) mentioned that his fry are living in outdoor unheated tubs. I just Googled their weather and it's 57deg right now (11am)

A CBS/IBC member (Gianne) keeps her award winning bettas in 30 1g containers. They get biweekly WC's and daily flare sessions. These are fish that have to be as healthy as can be in order to enter and win shows.

The way I see it, whatever works for you.
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #14 
Allirane

I have one betta too that prefers his one gallon (I've tried to put him in a 5 and a 20 and he hates it both times).

I have been guilt tripped too for things like that on other forums or even by fish store employees (never at Petsmart oddly enough) who just assume I'm an idiot if I have a question. Once, I went to a LFS and there was a betta with OBVIOUS swim bladder disease. He was like a bobber and struggling too. So, I brought him up to the counter and politley let the guy know that the fish had swim bladder disease. He rolls his eyes and says it's a bacterial infection. I said, "He can't even swim farther than bobbing on the surface. He has swim bladder infection." This guy spent the next ten minutes trying to sell me this sick betta and offered me the medication for a bacterial infection as I was obviously wrong. He then tried to tell me about how they have labyrinth organs... I said, "I'm a animal biology major in college. I know they have labyrinth organs... Really." I gave him to another employee and my friend (who has had cichlids her whole life and the same guy tried to give her a "lesson" too) and I left.

Just shows that people are insecure and are not willing to learn the art of animal keeping. This goes beyond fish keeping (As I have more than just fish and aquariums)... Animal caretakers are a community of lovers and care-givers, but we all have to learn sometime, somehow, and from somewhere/one. It REALLY ticks me off to be treated like a moron or like I haven't done my research. I ask questions because I care...

.... Okay.... Better... Sorry! I promise I'm agreeing! :)
Allirane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #15 
bambijarvis

as long as their water is clean and warm, you're good to go.
you can get storage containers in all kinds of shapes/sizes really cheap, too. ^^ the most difficult part is finding clear enough ones lol.
I saw one at the thrift store that would have easily held 5 gallons(tall) for $2.99 yesterday and own a few shoe-box types that hold 2-2.5 gallons. Shallow and long, so decent for blind/swimbladder/other special needs fish.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #16 
karenluvsbettas623

As long as the water is clean and at the correct temperature, who cares if it is a smaller tank? they can be perfectly happy in a smaller tank. The fact that they ended up with someone who cared enough to google betta care means they are already better off than 99% other bettas.
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #17 
jaysee
Reference Team

Swim bladder disease can be caused by a bacterial infection.

If anyone thinks fish keeping is bad, go check out a dog forum....

Last edited by jaysee; 10-09-2013 at 07:24 AM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #18 
OrangeAugust

jaysee is right- one of my bettas has swim bladder disease caused by bacterial infection. The only thing the meds did, though, was get rid of the fin rot caused by the bacterial infection. He still sinks to the bottom like a rock and has to use all his strength to get to the top for air or food (he's only in a few inches of water in a rectangular 2 gallon filled only halfway).

Anyway, I do agree that bettas are fine in 1 gallon containers. I've kept females in heated one gallons for varying periods of time and they were active and healthy. I do disagree that they can be kept in anything smaller, though. But I just make a suggestion to people who ask for advice about a betta that's in less than a gallon. I don't guilt-trip them over it.
The people at Yahoo Answers are horrible and scream at anyone whose betta is in a tank smaller than 5 gallons.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

This forum is actually one of the most lenient I have been on in regards to housing bettas in smaller tanks. I actually find that those members with tanks under 5 gallons are much quicker to jump in and have a go at those who advocate for larger tanks than the contrary.

It would be interesting to do a survey on this forum and find out what the average tank size for bettas owned by members actually is.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #20 
shannonpwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post

It would be interesting to do a survey on this forum and find out what the average tank size for bettas owned by members actually is.
I agree! You should start a thread with a poll for that. :)
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote