Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #11 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm so sorry! :( I wish they could talk to us and tell us whats wrong. Like the others have said, you should do what feels right to you. You gave him the best home and treated him with love. Keep us updated.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #12 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I'm so sorry to hear this. I went through the same thing last month with my little buddy Baccus. After months of trying to get to the bottom of the mystery illness - I cried uncle when he just stayed at the bottom of the 5 gallon breathing heavily.
I moved him to a nice warm hospital tank with about 4-5" of water and a leafy silk plant so that he could rest at the top and not have to use up energy trying to stay at the top or swim up from the bottom.

I did lose him but since I could never truly identify what was wrong, I had no way of knowing if he would recover. There was no way I was putting him down without trying everything possible.

It's a personal decision for you. But just keep him as comfy and warm as possible in the meantime.

Crossing my fingers for you. Hugs too () ()

Keep us posted.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #13 
vaygirl

I'm so sorry. It's a tough decision, I know from personal experience with a cat of mine. You always know when it's time. *hugs* from me and my 'crew'.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #14 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Hi,

I am very sorry for the delay in response. I received a PM regarding this matter but was unable to make my own assessment in time as it was already late last night and I was still sorting through a few matters.

A few questions here...

What meds were used? Please be specific on this and include ingredients for those of us unfamiliar with certain brands.
What are your water parameters right now?
How does that lump feel when touched gently? Soft or hard?

Assuming you had used some strongest antibiotics, I think you need to lay off the meds for now! Antibiotics will compromise your fish's immunity a bit by replacing the white cells for themselves in order to destroy bacterial strains involved. HOWEVER if your fish's lump continues growing, then perhaps you have been treating with the wrong meds all this time because I am suspecting tumor here. There is no cure for cancerous tumor but there is no way to tell either whether this tumor is benign or cancerous. One good thing for sure is that it is NOT near the gill area which could otherwise prove fatal for the poor fish. Benign tumors can stay for as long as the fish lives and only compromised immune system leading to several infections can eventually kill the fish but not the tumor itself.

I do not think sedating this fish and removing the tumor is quite an option here. This is a betta, not another fish who could tolerate clove oil as it is more vulnerable to suffocation by oil than other fish.

Edit: I might add that in fish involving tumors, as long as you maintain your usual routine keeping the fish healthy and alive, then all is not lost. You are giving the fish a chance to live unlike dumping meds that would otherwise aggravate the issue and eventually kill it. If the fish is still doing well, don't do euthanasia. I had a couple goldfish that were nearly on the brink of death as a result of accidents and everytime euthanasia crops up in my mind, I pushed that thought away and chose to give my fish a chance to live as long as they can manage that. They come back 100% healthy eventually.

Last edited by Lupin; 01-27-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #15 
bsntchr

CodeRed, what happened? I'm on the verge of tears here. Did you decide to euthanize?

I joined this forum after getting a Betta for the first time. I love my little "Guy" and I constantly worry about his health.
bsntchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #16 
CodeRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Hi,
A few questions here...
What meds were used? Please be specific on this and include ingredients for those of us unfamiliar with certain brands.
What are your water parameters right now?
How does that lump feel when touched gently? Soft or hard?
Well, I can't say exactly what's in the medications, because the boxes have mostly been thrown away to make space (not a lot of space in a smaller bedroom). I can only say I've used Maracyn 1, Maracyn 2, Jungle Fungus Eliminator, and multiple salt baths. He has been off of medications for quite awhile, once I saw the Maracyn 1 was not working anymore (It worked the first two days or so, then started to get even worse than before). I only put him back on medications about a week ago, after taking an especially close look at the lump, and deciding I couldn't just sit there and let him waste away. He's back on Maracyn 1.
I was never able to get a good water testing kit, because for some reason, my mom never aloud me. A bad excuse, I know, but my mom never wanted me to spend much money on the fish. The medications came from my own pocket over much time, and the same goes for any decorations, food, and so on.
I've never actually touched the lump, since Vulcan is actually very skittish about human hands, and will make a big mess of things. I've never pursued him relentlessly, for fear he'll hurt himself swimming around the tank.

I'm sorry I wasn't much help in this, but that's all I know.

And I have decided that I will probably euthanize him, for my good and his. I think of myself as selfish, but I can't stand to see him like that, when he was once such a beautiful, lively boy before. He now moves very little, and swims in an awkward way. We have what we need, and my mom and I will probably do it tomorrow. Neither of us are looking forward to it, but we've agreed that it's best.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #17 
louu

I strongly believe in the method of getting a cup of his water and putting him in the freezer they are cold blooded animals and will just get sluggish until he falls asleep it will be dark so he wont freak out and he will be in his tank water and it is relatively quick (as long as it takes to get ice in a cup of water) I would be nervous to use clove oil but it sounds very humane and a bit more comfortable for the fish from what i understand though im not sure i would use it but definately one to consider....

im so sorry to hear about your fish but i understand your decision
louu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #18 
bsntchr

Oh Code Red, I'm very sorry. Is Vulcan at rest now!!!! I'm crying just thinking about having to euthanize a fish.
bsntchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #19 
Kitch3ntools

ive sadly had to use the ice method on a gold fish YEARS ago and i kept him in the freezer over night so hed be solid (he had terrible fin rot, SBD, and i medicated him for about 4 months with no progress) when i went to bury him (it was in the summer) his ice started to melt and he started flopping :( i was a wreck! so im not a fan of the freezer method

im very sorry to hear about Vulcan

Last edited by Kitch3ntools; 02-01-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Kitch3ntools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #20 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
I'm sorry you decided to euthanise him.

Slow down on antibiotics. All meds you used are quite heavy duty. If you feel there is an issue with your fish, check your water parameters first and check for unusual symptoms. Post on the forum if in doubt what meds to use, etc.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote