Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2010, 01:25 AM   #1 
2brown347

Building tank for dorm

Hello all, I've made threads about the build itself on other forums, but I figured I'd go to a betta site for advice about what I plan to do with it.

I'm going off to a university next year and can only have a 10 gallon tank. This means I'll have to say goodbye to bunch of my fish but I figured I'll make the best of it. I've decided I'm going to bring my betta with me since they'll do best and have become my favorite fish (and to think I use to dislike them, only got my first one because he was ugly and looked sick and I doubted anyone else would buy him). I want to at least be able to bring 4 of my male bettas, I think any more than that would be over kill.

They tank will actually be a little over 10 gallons (I'm building my own so I can scam the system a bit). The dimensions will be 22Lx13Tx13D. If you want more details on the tank I'll post my plans and also update this thread as I progress.

ANYWAY what I want to know is:
1. Oviously the betta will be seperated, how many do you think I could put in there? I'm thinking 4 since they'll oviously be taken care of. (I have 6)
2. Should I change the dimensions at all? Maybe shorter but longer?

Thanks for any advice.

Note: not a noob to fish at all, but choosing which fish to bring is hard (deciding on the betta has taken me weeks) so oviously I want to bring as many as possible.
2brown347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:50 AM   #2 
Hadouken441

make it short and long and say its for lizards or something :D
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:00 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

you don't wanna say its for lizards LOL.. most Univs only allow "non-carnivorous" fish.. nothing that can escape is allowed.

I would put at most 4 bettas in it and try to make it longer rather than taller. I would definitely NOT add more than 4 bettas though.

*hint* depending on what your CA/RA is like you can usually sneak by the 10 gallon rule by having 1 or two smaller tanks. I have a 10, 3, and 2.5 in my dorm room and I haven't had any problems (knock on wood). So you may be able to get a few smaller tanks and bring all your bettas instead of trying to cram as many into one tank as possible.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #4 
Hadouken441

Ooooh good idea 1fish. And if that doesnt work hide your tanks!! haha
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #5 
2brown347

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
you don't wanna say its for lizards LOL.. most Univs only allow "non-carnivorous" fish.. nothing that can escape is allowed.

I would put at most 4 bettas in it and try to make it longer rather than taller. I would definitely NOT add more than 4 bettas though.

*hint* depending on what your CA/RA is like you can usually sneak by the 10 gallon rule by having 1 or two smaller tanks. I have a 10, 3, and 2.5 in my dorm room and I haven't had any problems (knock on wood). So you may be able to get a few smaller tanks and bring all your bettas instead of trying to cram as many into one tank as possible.
From what I've heard it can go either way. Some CA/RA's are cool and let you get away with it but some.. well aren't so cool. So this is sort of my safe bet incase multiples doesn't fly.

Another question, I got 6 betta:
1. Veil Tail
2. Double Tail
3. Halfmoon
4. Plakat
5. Crown Tail
6. Delta tail

(I basically was trying to cover one of every varity but have stopped buying them so I won't have to part with any more once I transfer.)

So my question is is there any reason why I shouldn't choose any of these based on the fish themselves? As far as I know they all are basically the same with different tails. (Except the Plakats a half giant I believe.)
Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

I don't see why you couldn't take one over the other.. I do know that crown tails are susceptible to having their rays melt at high pH's so thats something to consider but it really depends more on the personality of each fish and if they will tolerate having neighbors.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:09 PM   #7 
2brown347

The exact quote on the university website is (in the prohibited item list:
Quote:
Pets, including hamsters, birds, rabbits, or snakes (it's okay to have fish in aquariums less than ten gallons)
It says aquariums which is plural so do you think it'd be safe assuming either 6 five gallon, 3 ten gallon or 3 six gallon longs would fly? I'm thinking I may go that route and just print that page and underline aquariums? This may very likely turn into be building a self/stand unit for my betta semi biotopes.

Does anyone have experience with having aquariums in dorms? I'm assuming since it says aquariums having a multiple tanks should be fine and it'd be more preferible for me and the fish.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #8 
dr2b

I agree with 1fish, I'd do some smaller ones and bring them all rather than a large tank. You could even get a 5 gallon and split it or something.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #9 
veganchick

I'd do a 10g and a couple 2.5g bowls (with heaters of course) bowls always seem to fly better with collages than tanks of the same size...
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:36 AM   #10 
2brown347

I've actually heard that bowl thing a couple times. I sent the housing department an email asking for more specifics on their fish rules so hopefully I'll know for sure soon. My #1 choice would be 6 five gallons, but any ideas are welcome.