Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #11 
10asartin

I understand that you received this little guy as a gift and didn't expect to be investing time and money into a gift lol. However, I am glad that you are doing what needs to be done for him. I do have a few notes and suggestions.
First, bettas are insectivores. This means the myth that they can live off plant roots is false. They may nibble at microorganisms, but there would never be enough of those to sustain a healthy betta.
Next, you absolutely must use water conditioner each and every time you change the water in the tank. Straight tap water can kill a betta or any fish for that matter due to the chlorine and chloramine.
With a 2 gallon tank it is imperative that you do a water change of a minimum 50% every week, also ensuring that the temperature of the water added matches that of the original tank water.
One more note, be sure to unplug the heater every time you do a water change, not doing so will break the heater and cause it to quit working.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #12 
Indigoclyde77

I am bummed, I tried emailing Betty Splendens (she was the link to the article above that I posted on Friday) She is no longer breeding or managing her website anymore. So today when I click on her link its no longer works. She must have taken it down. It was such a great ref to what is going on with Indigo.

But when I came into work this morning he peppy, eaten his food and is still alive! Looking beautiful! The loss of color is deff spreading down his back... So I will snap pictures here and there in the future. I am going to stop the Betta Fix as I dont think he is ill anymore. Change his water on Friday. 50% I am thinking... I only treated him with the Betta Fix for 2 days. So I don't know if I should do a 100% water change you know? Anyway if you have any thoughts feel free to share. :) Happy Monday!
Attached Images

Indigoclyde77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #13 
Indigoclyde77

I use filtered water when I change it. I guess I mis-understood fresh... I fig that was without a filter running. lol. Thanks for the tip on the heater. :)
Old 09-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #14 
Indigoclyde77

Hello! Update on Indigo here... He has continued to eat and is acting his normal self this week and... changing colors! I attached a picture face still changing and under his head all through his back is deff changing. Also you will see at the top of his top fin tail fringe and the bottom front fringe the color loss is still occuring..he is getting a bit more white at the tips and getting more bright red as well! How fun this is to watch! ;)
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #15 
Indigoclyde77

So it looks like Mr. Indigo Clyde is back to his full color! He is happy and very healthy, now thinking he did not have the jumping gene. He still has a white streak in his upper fin. And a few clear fringe which he did not have in the past. I have been doing all the nec care for him weekly and he has never been happier! Love this little guy! Just wanted to give you an update.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #16 
Indigoclyde77

Update! He is still doing amazing! Love my little guy...hope you are all well!
Attached Images