betta fish

Old 10-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #11 
ricepattyfish5

How is he doing??
ricepattyfish5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #12 
KidsCatsBettas

Thank you for asking!

Sparkle is still with us, but not doing well. He is so weak, he can't keep himself upright and keeps tipping on his side. He's just so sad to look at.

Reality hit my daughter last night that she is going to lose her fish. I hurt for her and I feel awful that I can't fix her fish. My husband thinks I'm bonkers for the amount of effort I have put forth to save an $8 fish (Sparkle is a halfmoon.)

Still hoping for a miracle!

TJ
KidsCatsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #13 
ricepattyfish5

I really am too!! What type of medicine have you tried using?? Just make sure you are keeping his water clean and warm and just keep him as comfortable as possible. Maybe you can try using flake food?? It might be easier for him to eat if he is in pain.

You are not bonkers at all!!!! Bettas are the best pets ever!!! :) I really hope he pulls through for your daughter though.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #14 
KidsCatsBettas

I haven't done any meds because I can't clearly identify what's wrong. I think he damaged his lip somehow but I don't see any obvious signs of infection. I've been changing 1 gallon of water a day and adding 1 tsp aquarium salt to the gallon. He doesn't even come up to look at food, I've tried pellets and micropellets. Beyond that, just lots of wishing and hoping!

TJ
KidsCatsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #15 
ricepattyfish5

That sounds good!! The aquarium salt will help keep the risk of infection down, and maybe adding a stress coat once a week when you change some of his water will help protect him as well. And it will also help out his immune system a bit.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #16 
Soph7244

Im praying for sparkle! he sounds like a wonderful fish and im hoping that you guys come out of this ok
Soph7244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #17 
LittleBlueFishlets

You said that he has trouble swimming and keeping himself upright.... Is his abdomen area bloated at all?

If he appears bloated and has buoyancy issues, I would:

a) Stop the aquarium salt. (It can cause these problems.)

b) Switch to Epsom salt. (It has a fluid reducing and laxative effect.) Start at a dosage of 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon. If that doesn't help within 1-2 days, increase to 1 teaspoon per gallon.

c) Look for a medication that can treat internal infections. (For bacterial infections, I would use Kanaplex (kanamycin sulfate).... Or you could try metronidazole, which would help with anaerobic bacteria.)

I don't know where you live, but if you can find mosquito larvae, this would be a good food for him. It's easily digestible and contains the nutrients they need.... If you can get these, you can also look into getting frozen foods.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote