Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #1 
KidsCatsBettas

Epsom salt in tank?

My daughter's betta Sparkle is a mess. He has a torn lip that is healing with salt. He hasn't eaten in three weeks and where he would poop is a little white blob. He's very lethargic and can't swim very well. He is also wedging himself against objects to stop from floating. Before the torn lip, I tried an Epsom salt bath, but catching him and moving him was too stressful. Can I just add Epsom salt to the tank and leave him there? How much should I add for a 2.5 gallon tank (about 2 gal water after rocks and decorations are counted)?

Thanks!
TJ

(I have other threads with tank info. Basically 2.5 gal, heated to 76, filtered with Marina i25, lives alone.)
KidsCatsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #2 
txbettaowner

I would try some aquarium salt instead. The dosage is on the container.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #3 
Aquatail

White poo is a sign of parasites. Is it stringy at all?

You can put Epsom Salt straight into the tank. I was instructed to do this by taking out a cup of tank water and putting in 1-3tsp per gallon of water in the tank (not the cup). After it completely dissolves pour a little back into the tank every ten minutes or so until all is in.

It sounds like some sort of parasite, but whether to use Epsom or Aquarium Salt depends on whether it is external or internal I believe. You said he was having trouble swimming. Is he weak or is he having buoyancy issues at all?
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Aquarium salt can cause constipation, bloating, and buoyancy issues. So it's possible that this is the cause of his buoyancy issues.

How much Aquarium salt are you adding? Is it possible for you to stop using it? (IMO, it's not needed as a preventative. So if there's no infection, you should be ok phasing it out. Just do frequent water changes to keep toxin and bacterial levels low.)

Yes, you can add Epsom salt directly to the tank. I would start with a dosage of 0.5 teaspoons per gallon. As Aquatail suggested, an easy way to do this is to put some of his tank water in a cup. Stir in 1 teaspoon Epsom salt, stirring until the salt is completely dissolved. Then, over the course of about 30 minutes, slowly pour the solution back into the tank. (This will provide a dosage of 0.5 tsp/gal.)

Then, when you're ready to do a water change, premix the solution, using 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon of water. Add conditioner, and do the water change like you usually do.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote