Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #21 
Elsewhere

Don't you just hate sororities sometimes? I really hope things work out for you, it really sucks that disease has hit.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #22 
ashleylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
Don't you just hate sororities sometimes? I really hope things work out for you, it really sucks that disease has hit.
4 out of my 7 girls have died in 24 hours and I lost another two earlier this week. One has been hanging on like a warrior since last night, another is being treated (though still looks healthy aside from early signs of deterioration) and the other looks perfect so far.

It's a viscious circle. I had a guppy give birth yesterday, so at least there is some new life... but I'm so sad to see my girls go like this.
ashleylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #23 
ashleylyn

As of last night, aside from the sorority collapse everything else is doing fine. Two girls are still very active and look good (the one in quarantine I had floating for a couple of days evidently got fed up because when I woke up yesterday morning, she was back in the tank. She literally cleared 2" to get back in there, despite being quite blocked by the glass lid ). Also have guppy fry too - counted 7 yesterday, which is kind of exciting. Snails, plants, guppies all look good too. *sigh* I still don't know where the outbreak came from. One day all fish were fine, a few days later half are dead.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #24 
ashleylyn

1 week of growth
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2013, 01:54 AM   #25 
ao
TFK Moderator

Wow it really looks great!

Sent from Petguide.com App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #26 
ashleylyn

Thank you so much, it means a lot!

I hadn't tested the ammonia for a couple of days since everything looked fine and fish were all active and normal, but tested it today just to be sure. It was at 0ppm. :)
Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #27 
ashleylyn

Just an update. I had gone over a week without a WC and ammonia was between 0ppm and .25ppm, so I did a change yesterday. My remaining two girls are doing great and the one that started being attacked by the bacteria or whatever it was has fin regrowth from where it was damaged, so I'm praying my girls are in the clear. Snails and guppies are all doing well, too.

It's tough. I only have the two girls left, which is clearly not good. It is a 30g though and the filter is kind of strong, so they get easily deterred swimming and if they're together, they usually go their separate ways in 5 seconds and explore another part of the tank or look for food. I could remove one, but I don't have a spare heater for another small tank at the moment and with working 2 jobs and being a full time student, on top of dealing with whatever happened, well, quite frankly I'm too tired to have to do constant WCs on a smaller tank. These girls have been together for months and both seem fairly docile, so hopefully things stay mellow until I figure out what I'm doing. I don't want to introduce any more girls yet since I may be getting into wilds, which would eventually be moved to the 30g. I guess I could pick up another 2 or 3 though as they could go into the 10g if the wilds go in the 30. Since I see them at work all of the time, it's kind of like its own quarantine period. Maybe on my next shift I'll buy a couple. Haven't seen any that really caught my eye though and after losing so many fish, I am not in a rush to add more. I need to treat and clean my 10g since the bacteria ran rampant through there as well. Ugh.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #28 
ashleylyn

Update:

2 of my original betta girls made it. I've purchased 3 more since the whole bacteria thing and all are doing well. I bought 4 ghost shrimp over a week ago and all are thriving and super fun to watch. My snails are really growing now and I have tons of plant growth! 2 of my female guppies have given birth, another is due any day, and the others appear to be in the early stages of pregnancy. :)

This is how far my tank has come in less than a month!

Old 01-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #29 
ashleylyn

Hey guys... back from a little hiatus! My tank is well stocked, plants are thriving, I have a plethora of snails... and someone gave me a 40 gallon with filter and other miscellaneous equipment totally free today! :D
Old 01-08-2014, 11:52 PM   #30 
kodawg9

I really like your tank set up. Just curious, just how different is the black diamond blasting sand compared with regular black sand? I've been trying to figure out what substrate and what color I should use and I feel like after looking at your set up, going black sand as cap would be perfect for my NPT
kodawg9 is offline   Reply With Quote