Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #11 
fishgeek

they have started embracing! but they're having some issues...Rain slips out of Neptunes embrace before it's complete, so no eggs have dropped yet. Hopefully they will figure it out! They are trying so hard. It's actually kinda funny...how awkward they are:P
fishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #12 
fishgeek

Rain is slightly larger than Neptune, so that could be part of the problem. But it also looks like he's totally missing her when he goes to do the embrace. Or he's not wrapping her properly, because she slips out.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #13 
fishgeek

the female has released a few eggs now, but they haven't picked them up! The still seem like they don't know exactly what they are doing. Is this normal for their first time??
Old 10-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #14 
fishgeek

female found the eggs on the ground and decided to eat them. Now she's distracted looking for more eggs to eat.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #15 
fishgeek

There are eggs in the nest! I removed the female and am acclimating her to her original tank. The male is guarding the nest. All of the eggs are in the bubbles under the Indian Almond leaf. Is this normal/okay?
Old 10-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #16 
shannonpwns

I thought the IAL sunk? Or did I misread? You should give the female time to rest, is she the only fish in her tank? Or is she in a sorority? Congrats! My eggs began to hatch after just 24 hours. My female ate a lot of eggs too.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #17 
fishgeek

The first one did sink, but I put a new IAL in the tank last night and taped it to the side to prevent it from sinking. Rain is back in her 2.5 gallon by herself to recover before returning to the sorority tank. It looks like there's some debris on the ground, should I try to remove it with a turkey baster before the eggs hatch? I've done so much research, but I still feel like I don't know what to do, lol. I have a sponge filter in there, but the water level is too low right now to use it, and I'm not supposed to use it until the fry have hatched and are a little older.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #18 
shannonpwns

I've had my sponge filter on since my fish were spawning, but I had it set at less than one bubble per second, I just upped the speed of it yesterday, as my fry are 3 weeks old now.

I had debris in my spawn tank before the eggs hatched, I didn't clean it up since it was just mainly shedding from my hornwort. It's up to you though, I know some people would clean it up, but I personally didn't and it didn't hurt anything.

I know how you feel, when my fry were still eggs, I was freaking out, it's like I forgot everything I had read for the past 6 months lol.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've heard that if you disturb the nest you run the risk of disturbing the nest and upsetting the male. Then he might eat the eggs.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #20 
fishgeek

I have heard that too, so I've been really careful not to mess with the tank now that there are eggs. And when I check up on him I try not to put my face right up next to the tank in case it freaks him out. But I've been stressing because the tank is in the corner of the kitchen and the kid keeps stomping around in here! I think I'll be leaving the gate up for the next few days until the eggs have hatched!

It looks like there are less eggs now, but it also looks like they are more spread out now, so I can't tell if he ate some or if he just redistributed them.