Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #1 
Jovancheck

Question Few problems here, don't know what to do

So let's start from the beginning...About three weeks ago, i had to go home (other town), and i left my betta to my boyfriend. I know he took a good care, but last days he started to notice small holes on his tail. Eventually, that holes started to divide his tail into 3-4 parts. It looked like tail ripping at first, so we removed his plant as we suspected it was what caused the tail ripping. In the meantime, i brought him again with me...Than i bought him bigger tank and changed his conditioner (from Sera Aquatan to Sera Toxivec, as i was told that Toxivec is the best we have in Serbia), and moved him, he was fine, but i couldn't see what was wrong with his tail. It literally looks like the third photo which says ripping:
Name:  bitten.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  78.9 KB
Than i noticed some slime coat, falling from his fins, i was confused but i decided to wait and see what will happen. About an hour ago i changed about 50 % of his water and i noticed few white dots that looked like salt, i searched and found out that it's ick. But as i am typing, i don't see them ...I am very confused, because he is not acting sick, he is active, hungry as always, nothing wrong with his behavior.
Here is some info:
Housing
What size is your tank? About 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80-81 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Sera vipan, Tetra pro colour, some larvae, Tetra Betta granules, Betta flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 3 times a week normally, when i noticed the slime coat falling of about 25-50% every day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Normally twice about 50% with a gravel cleaning, and once about 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Switched from Sera Aquatan to Sera Toxivec, about a week ago.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? First ripped tail, then slime coat falling from fins, then something that looked like ick and dissapeared in half an hour
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not changed
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Tail ripped about three weeks ago, slime coat few days ago, ick-like dots an hour ago and gone now
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Don't know
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know

Here is one picture of his tail, bad quality, i am sorry..
Name:  IMG_20131011_203029.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  41.7 KB

Last edited by Jovancheck; 10-11-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Jovancheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Do you have an ammonia test kit? and if not will any of your local pet/fish shops test it for you if you take them a sample?

There are many problems which may cause these symptoms, ammonia poisoning is one of them. By the sounds of it you are very good at changing his water regularly so the ammonia isn't from lack of care on your part. I am just wondering whether the water that you are using for him contains ammonia as some tap water has ammonia present and not all water conditioners remove it.

I agree that his symptoms sound a lot like whitespot however the parasites would not simply disappear so quickly and without medication so I am thinking that the spots that you saw were simply oxygen bubbles which can sometimes be present after a water change if the water has a high level of dissolved gasses in it. Velvet can sometimes cause similar symptoms to what you are mentioning. Just shine a bright light on him and look very very closely for fine gold dusting over him. It will look like he has been sprinkled with fine white/gold/brown dust.

If you can't see anything then the only other thing I can think it could be is bacterial slime disease though again unlikely because of the regular water changes.......

For now I would check for velvet using the light and if you can't see anything take a sample of his water (closer to the bottom of the aquarium is better because ammonia is heavier than water so tends to accumulate there) and get it tested for ammonia then depending what you find we may be able to suggest some medications, Good Luck :)
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #3 
sunlight

I am wondering if it can be babbles ? I read somewhere about bubbles disease or condition which is not fatal. I was trying to find the link that i read, can find it. Is there bubbles in your tank on the walls , anywhere else?
I will post the link if i will find it.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote