Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #1 
Callie

I finally got fish again!

Hello everyone. I've had fish off and on for about 7 years and I had recently started cycling my tank so I could get fish again when my cousin came down for a visit and mentioned that she was looking for someone to take her fish. She decided that her toddler needed a fish tank and went out and bought a five gallon and put two (yes two!) young male bettas in it and about four guppies. Well all was sorta okay until the bettas got a little bit older and she came home from work one day to find one of the bettas belly up. About a week went by and her toddler decided to dump an entire container of fish food in and all but one guppy and the other betta died. She said she didn't know fish required so much and decided it was best to wait until her toddler was older and she knew more before trying fish again. And so that's how sapphire (the betta) and guppy (the guppy :P) came to live with me! Flash forward two weeks and sapphire is healing up nicely and guppy is pregnant. They seem to enjoy it in my 30 gallon and I don't think ill put anymore fish in after guppy has her babies. I look forward to getting to know all of you and your fish!
Callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #2 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
Hello everyone. I've had fish off and on for about 7 years and I had recently started cycling my tank so I could get fish again when my cousin came down for a visit and mentioned that she was looking for someone to take her fish. She decided that her toddler needed a fish tank and went out and bought a five gallon and put two (yes two!) young male bettas in it and about four guppies. Well all was sorta okay until the bettas got a little bit older and she came home from work one day to find one of the bettas belly up. About a week went by and her toddler decided to dump an entire container of fish food in and all but one guppy and the other betta died. She said she didn't know fish required so much and decided it was best to wait until her toddler was older and she knew more before trying fish again. And so that's how sapphire (the betta) and guppy (the guppy :P) came to live with me! Flash forward two weeks and sapphire is healing up nicely and guppy is pregnant. They seem to enjoy it in my 30 gallon and I don't think ill put anymore fish in after guppy has her babies. I look forward to getting to know all of you and your fish!
Welcome to the forum! And glad to see those fish will be in some good care now!
CrazyFishDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #3 
popcorndeer

you cant put 2 male bettas in the same tank they are called fighting fish
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #4 
PeetaTheBetta

Glad to hear that the fish are being well cared for now, and Welcome to the forum!
PeetaTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Popcorndeer, she knows that and wasn't the one that did it. Welcome to the forum, Callie. Do you have the Guppy and betta separated? If not the fry will be snacks for the betta.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #6 
Callie

They're together but I have lots of silk plants for the fry to hide in if she has them unexpectedly but I'm planning on waiting until I know she's about to have them and temporarily moving the betta to a smaller aquarium while she's having them and then use a turkey baster to suck them up and put them in a breeder net. I've been doing lots of research on signs of when a guppy is about to have her fry but I also know things don't always go according to plan so we'll just have to wait and see.
Callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Well, at least you have a plan for what to do with them. I hope everything goes well for your Guppy.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote