Betta Fish Forum banner

Eclipse tank used to house computer

754 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Jynx 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I never bothered to learn what kind of aquarium it was that they were using when I first saw this PC mod over a year ago, but now that I have begun the hobby myself, the different aquariums out there could really make a difference with the pioneering of case modding that exists for PCs.

It makes me wonder how cool it would be to see a biOrb mod done with a PC.

I can't remember the complete details, but it was also discovered shortly after a couple different setups of the Mineral Oil PC Aquariums, that could also have water in them and run fine. Of course, if a tropical fish aquarium needs a heater, why not an 80 degree running PC? ;)

#4 ·
oh i don't think it would be a very good environment for fish- there would probably be toxic seeping from the computer parts- and yes it's safe to have a fluid cooled PC if it's set up properly- and any very large system has to be fluid cooled or it would overheat- I did read an article not long ago about colleges with super computers trying to use the waste heat to warm nearby buildings to save energy.

#5 ·
I just dont understand how that works since water damages computer parts, how does this not damage the computer parts, liquid is liquid.

#6 ·
well you don't just dump your computer in a vat of oil :D um-according to wiki the liquid needs to be non-conductive with electricity and the parts in question need to be housed in such a way that certain parts don't come in contact with the liquid- but liquid is a much better at diffusing heat than air- and much safer than solids- anyways they settled on the eclipse 6 because it was the perfect size for the components they were using vs how much liquid they needed- as for the biOrb- i think the extra small access area of that tank would really limit the components you could use- hmmm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.