Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #1 
alunjai

Koi Male and Marble Female

What I will get if I spawned a male koi with a blue marble female? Will I get any fancy marbles?

This is my male koi. Since the picture was taken some of the white areas on the body has changed to black.
Attached Images

Last edited by alunjai; 08-19-2013 at 02:30 AM. Reason: adding text
alunjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:31 AM   #2 
Darth

Marble is the same gene, you will get what I listed for crossing marbles. If you want to see Marble in the F1 you need to cross to a solid, preferably yellow or orange.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #3 
Darth

People here is the thing, Marble, Grizzle, Koi are ALL Marble genes..if you want to see Marble in the first generation spawn a marble to a solid.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #4 
bambijarvis

Darth is right about kois being marbles(as expressed by you admittingra his color has changed slightly since getting him).
But breeding marble to marble doesn't make it skip a generation.
Breeding koi to koi you won't necessarily get koi. This is because the marble gene is, for the most part, unpredictable. getting a 'fancy' marble is up to luck in part with the genetics.
You'll get a mix of solids,multies,marbles,butterflies...it's a grab bag really.
If one is orange or yellow as opposed to red, I'd try to find a match for that(another orange for an orange or yellow for a yellow) otherwise your fry will show red(unless it carries the other color). But this is just me since I try to avoid red as a personal preference.

here are a couple articles you may find interesting for breeding marbles.:
some info #1

Some info #2

@Darth, I would like to see where you're getting this information as I've bred marbles myself. o.O
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #5 
alunjai

Thank you for the info guys.

I won't be able to get hold of orange or yellows unfortunately.

Getting them to spawn is my main task at the moment. Been trying for over a month now and still nothing. Just set up the spawn tank last night for my 3rd or 4th attempt. The female is always excited to see the male when in a separate tank but once together she seems intimidated by him so what I'm trying differently this time is to provide a better hideout so she can hide until she feels comfortable to come out.
alunjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #6 
Darth

Bambi, I have been a breeder for 40 years.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #7 
Basement Bettas

40 years and not one title or ribbon.. not one technical paper written. not know among the breeder circles... hrrrmmmm
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #8 
Curlyfatbottom

Some of us breeder is not into ribbon, title or make a name.
Where just into the hobby of raising n caring for the betta.
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:30 AM   #9 
Jayloo

Which is fine curly-fat-bottom, but however I have bred marble x marble and gotten marble. I think the point of this small little spat is that we don't necessarily want to steer ppl in a direction that can't be backed by fact. & for somebody to say they have bred for X amount of time is not a qualification/credential when somebody who has bred 6 months bred marble x marble and got more marble....confused... i mean isn't marrble the jumping gene. it can choose to express itself WHENEVER it wants...
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote