Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #1 
Betta Slave

Brown, Stringy Stuff- On his tail?

This is kind of freaking me out... He's been a little sick since I got him, with a fungal infection, some ich (I'm treating it right now), bettafix and a bit of melafix which has helped a lot. Well, really, he's been a real trouble. I've been worrying about him a lot, it's like he's prone to sickness, no matter how much the water is changed, not matter how much medicine I give him (no overdosing, just repeating) he hasn't much gotten better. I looked at his back fin yesterday and this brown thing wasnt there yesterday... it is today. I don't know what it is. He's not as active as Augie, but I think that's just his personality. He eats his pellets twice a day. His water's clean (might looka little blue, just put some ich cure in there.) I don't know what could be wrong...? Not fungal, or velvet, I don't think. There is this swirly plastic plant in his tank but it isnt sharp and he rests in it a lot and i dont think it can cut his fins.

Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:26 AM   #2 
kelly528

That's fin rot. It's harder to identify on crowntails.

I suggest you cut the bettafix/melafix. They are only antiseptics meaning they kill germs externally. Fin rot is both an internal and external infection so what you need is a legitimate antibiotic. Maracyn should do the trick.

Also how big is the tank, how often do you clean it and how much water do you change? Even the most frequent water change schedules are sometimes a bit 'off', for example if one with an uncycled tank is changing the water 50% half the time and 100% the other half.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #3 
Betta Slave

Well right now I'm keeping him in a one gallon temporarily. (I'm going to move him into a divided ten gallon w/ Augie really soon.) I change the water completely once a week with little small water changes every day or 2 days. Is that ok? I try to keep the water as clean as possible.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote