I've now had my 1st betta for a whole week. The 1 gal tank is ok for a start, but I'm already itching to upgrade. I've been monitoring the water daily with those dip strips, doing 50% water changes every other day, & did a full change today. Time for questions:
1) How much should I be feeding him? I've got Hikari Betta Bio-Gold baby pellets & have been giving him 4 pellets every evening. He gobbles them up immediately. I give only 1 at a time & wait for about 10 seconds after he eats one before dropping the next. It takes about a minute for him to finish. He'd eat faster if I let him! After the 4th he seems to still be looking for more. Am I giving him enough? Can I give him more, or perhaps fewer pellets 2x a day?
2) Bought dried bloodworms for a treat. How many should I give him at a time? Assume they'd be instead of his usual food. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
3) Bought a mirror to float every so often. Have put it in the tank for a few minutes several times. He is totally uninterested - seems far more intrigued with any movement in the room, especially when I come anywhere near his tank. Is that normal?
4) This really belongs on a different area, but I thought it would be ok to put all my questions together. After reading these forums I knew the tank I had would be too small (only 1 gal). Heater is a Hydor 7.5w, maintaining the tank between 78-81 (depending on time of day & whether incandescent light is on). No filter currently. He seems happy & healthy, but I'm already looking to upgrade the tank. Space restriction: 16"w x 16"h x 12"d. Would greatly appreciate advice on what I should get for my new friend (tank, accessories, food, test kit, what meds to have on hand - the works!). I want him to be with me for a long time!
5) Anything I've missed to make his life happy?
Thank you all for your encouragement and advice!