Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #1 
Eolith

Watching like a hawk...

So I recently decided that I would try Finn out in the 10g community that I have. I put Jack in there for a while without any mishap at all... until he figured out that the bottom feeder pellets for the corys was good and became aggressive about chasing them off. So I switched Jack with the other betta I had at the time, Mo. Mo was downright mean to the others for no good reason, so he was put back in his solitary tank.

Now it's Finn's turn. So far he's as nonchalant about the other tank inhabitants as Jack was to start with. I'm crossing my fingers with the hope that he doesn't decide that their sinking pellets are good too. I think he's loving the extra 5g of space too. He's only been in there since last night and there are already tons of bubbles that he's blown floating on the surface. He never did that in his last tank. With any luck he can continue to enjoy his new home... as long as he's polite to everyone else.

One thing is, has anyone here with corys noticed that they occasionally like to rocket up to the surface of the tank and then back down? Well... one of the corys did that just now and catapulted right into Finn. I think they were both surprised, but Finn didn't get aggressive. I laughed so hard.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Cories will occaisionally go to the surface for air, I think. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Haahaa, I bet that WAS funny!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #3 
vaygirl

They do go to the surface for air, just like bettas. And yep, they ROCKET up. It always amazes me how fast they are.

If you continue to have trouble with your betta and cory pellets (I know, I peddle this idea all over but it's worked wonders for me) just get yourself a Lee's 3 way breeder box. Take out the middle, take out the bottom grate and use it to float your betta when you feed the cory cats. It floats right in the tank and lets the water flow through and yet he's still separated from everyone. I seperate Tango every day at feeding time and he's fine with it. Well... he looks kinda grumpy...

but he goes into it willingly cause I feed him in it too...
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #4 
Eolith

Thanks for the tip, I may end up having to do that at some point. Where can I get the breeder box?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I got mine at Petco. I've seen them online as well. I didn't want to do this but it got to the point where he was gorging so badly on pellets that he made himself sick.

I read once that in the wild, an overabundance of food is not usually an issue and fish don't 'know' when they're full. They'll just keep eating and eating and eating if it's available. I don't know if that's true or not but I do know if left to his own 'grazing', Tango eats until he's sick.

Here's a link. The middle comes out and so does the grate in the bottom. I take the lid off too. It's pretty clear and hard for them to see so if your fish is used to following your hand around for food, just put it in the water on it's side and 'lead' him in there with your finger or with food. Then tip it back up and lift it until the water comes out of the two floats on the side.

http://www.petco.com/product/7449/Le...:referralID=NA
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #6 
Eolith

Cool, thanks.

The gorging thing is why I ended up taking Jack out. He would keep going at it until he looked literally bloated. Like a little balloon!

Finn will probably discover the pellets sooner or later. When he does I'll probably get one of those things. Hopefully I can just convince him to be a good little fishy and go in it nice and calm like. I don't want any major stress or torn fins. >_<