Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #1 
reaperss06

will not eat

The situation is that 2 days ago I got a 2 gallon tank, with a heater and a plant. I put him in the tank with the plant, water didn't cool off until sometime in the night, so today I put the heater in and the temp has gone up to 78 degrees so far. Since I put him in the 2 gallon tank he hasn't eaten or anything. I did put the tank in a different spot then it used to be.

The tank used to be right next to my monitor between the console and monitor on top of my desk, I moved him over to a table I have thats close but not on my desk. Any ideas?
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #2 
JamieTron

Did you acclimate him as you would when you first buy your fish? Temperature shock can cause them to refrain from eating.

Also atm if you acclimated him correctly I would assume it is just because he is in a new situation. I would keep an eye on him though just in case. If he continues to not eat you should look for signs of illness.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #3 
reaperss06

hmm I don't know if I acclimated him correctly, if it is shock how long before he starts eating again?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #4 
JamieTron

Ummm hard to say, depends on how big of a temperature change he encountered. If you think it was not by much then I would just give him a couple days he's probably just a little stressed over the temp change and move. If it was by a lot he may take longer to eat again, it depends on the situation.

If you do notice his fins clamping or strange swimming or lack of swimming with color change it could mean the change over did not go well. If you don't notice these eventually than he should be fine in a few days hopefully if all goes well.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #5 
reaperss06

well he seems to do the same swimming and all, he has activity in him he just wont eat, could it be a cause of his popeye maybe causing some side effects? I am taking care of it doing all the steps and such. I just don't want him to starve to death right in front of me.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #6 
JamieTron

Fish can go up to a week comfortably without food (but not ideally) It could be due to medications for popeye perhaps too. I think he will be okay as long as he eats within a week. After that he may start to lose weight.

Hopefully he will start eating in no time. One of my bettas I had in a 1 gallon bowl when I first bought her and moved her to a bigger tank a split 10 gallon and she would not eat for a good week or so because of the change.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #7 
reaperss06

ok, well I'll keep an eye on him from now on and hopefully hell eat soon, thank you for your help.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #8 
JamieTron

Good luck
Old 02-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #9 
reaperss06

He ate today, it looks like it was just the stress of moving, boy do I know how he felt lol.