Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #11 
xSomethingSmellsFishyx

Clever name! I hope he does stop flaring at himself. If not, ask somebody at a good petstore. Trying not to mention any names, but don't go to *cough cough Petco cough* (no offense if anybody likes Petco)!!!
xSomethingSmellsFishyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #12 
maddy427

Me either! Thank you for the help!
maddy427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #13 
xSomethingSmellsFishyx

You're welcome! =D
xSomethingSmellsFishyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #14 
maddy427

Petco is the only place I have here, it's where I got him. :D
Old 01-05-2010, 12:21 AM   #15 
Jupiter

Welcome! Pretty betta, Flareon suits him!

His flaring an lack of appetite could be him adjusting to his new home. Bettas should be fed between 4-6 pellets a day. I feed mine two in the morning, and two at night.

Does he have plants and hiding places? Those make them feel more secure, and could distract him from flaring too. Does he have a heater? I didn't see you mentioning one, unless I skipped that over...Bettas need warm water, kept between 74-80 degrees.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #16 
maddy427

The room i have him in is naturally about 77 degrees all day long. Its the warmest room in the house. He has a little thermometer that says his water is about 80 degrees. He doesn't have a plant yet, I mean to get him some as soon as the ice melts here and I can get to the other side of town.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #17 
Crimson

Hello! I am new to the forum, and just wanted to double check what you said about feeding! I am currently feeding my betta two pellets per day (one in the morning, one in the evening), but he definitely seems to dart around and practically beg for more.....am I feeding him too little? Should I try upping his diet to two pellets per day? I know that overfeeding can cause illness and create toxic water conditions, which I would like to avoid! However, I also don't want to starve my li'l guy!
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #18 
Tinthalas Tigris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
Hello! I am new to the forum, and just wanted to double check what you said about feeding! I am currently feeding my betta two pellets per day (one in the morning, one in the evening), but he definitely seems to dart around and practically beg for more.....am I feeding him too little? Should I try upping his diet to two pellets per day? I know that overfeeding can cause illness and create toxic water conditions, which I would like to avoid! However, I also don't want to starve my li'l guy!

You shoudl be feeding your betta two meals a day, each meal about 3 pellets. (so long as it is an adult).

The pellets float, so that you can easily scoop them out if they are not eaten after 5 minutes. Still, avoid putting more than 3 pellets in the water at a time.

Last edited by Tinthalas Tigris; 02-07-2010 at 07:31 AM. Reason: *the pellets float.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

2-3 pellets twice a day is what most of us feed our bettas.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #20 
Crimson

Thanks for your help! I have started feeding Vern 2 pellets twice per day, and I will also begin replacing one meal with bloodworms, which I just purchased. I also noticed that many users fast their bettas once per week, which I am also going to do.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, question, stress