Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2010, 01:59 AM   #1 
Hadouken441

Question about Sorority

Next weeked im buying a 10 gal tank and i would like a sorority in there.

My biggest question is how do I introduce them to eachother?? Do I buy them all the same time and put them in the same time?? Someone enlighten me!

Also I plan on having like 3 oto's and a frog in there too. I read somewhere that if i put other fish in BEFORE adding my betta's, its easier for the bettas to adjust to there tank mates. Is this true??

Also how many girls should i have with eachother? I also read(lol) that odd numbers are better because less chances of ganging up??? Well let me know friends :D

Last edited by Hadouken441; 02-05-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:18 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Here is a sticky about sororities. I hope this helps.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...orities-29402/
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:18 AM   #3 
Hadouken441

Eep sorry guess i shoulda searched!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:20 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol! No problem.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #5 
Hadouken441

Ok so my questions didnt get answered yet so here we are again :D

How many girls in a 10 gal if i want to include a frog and an otto?
Old 02-06-2010, 12:16 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think you could have up to 6 girls without the frog and oto but with the frog and oto, I would go with just 4 girls. I have read that ADF's do better in groups. I'm not sure how many otos and frogs you could have without overstocking the tank.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:16 AM   #7 
Hadouken441

Considering how well i clean my tanks and how often, I think I could get away with 2 frogs, 4 girls, and an otto. I do a 30% water change every 4 days and if i add lots of hiding places is that good??
Old 02-07-2010, 04:07 AM   #8 
Tinthalas Tigris

I recommend the aqadvisor for your stocking options. It is an easy to use Tropical Fish aquarium stocker that will give you a very good idea for how many fish vs the filter you have.

www.aqadvisor.com

I have 4 bettas and one ghost shrimp in my 10 gallon. It has been fluctuating between the 4 and 6 bettas, but the last two have been too aggressive for the tank. I have it moderately planted (7 in total), and several caves and hide spots (also 7 in total).

I originally had all the bettas together. This nearly killed them all because the tank was not cycled.

I seperated them all into seperate bowls, and two weeks later, reintroduced them all back into the aquarium slowly.

I decorated the aquarium first of all.

Then I added the weakest fish, and let her get to exploring. I then added the next two that were about equal in size and color vibrancy. These two established their pecking order, and about a day later, I added another and a ghost shrimp.

I dropped the two largest bettas in on the third day.

The final two dominated the aquarium, and one was far too territorial for the aquarium's balance. I've since removed her, and the aquarium has been very harmonious. I also had to remove an injured betta that got caught in a bad decoration :(. SO I'm currently down to four in the tank w/ one ghost shrimp.

I might reintroduce the other 2 bettas again, but as for now, the one is far too maimed, and the other is a little too dominant for the tank.

I would recommend getting at most 4 to begin, and make sure your tank is cycled.

Also make sure you have a couple of backup options, at the very least 3 holding bowls for the bettas so you can find configurations in case there is one (or more) very dominant females.

keep your eyes on the tank at least for the first hour, and if they get too rowdy at the beginning, turn off the light.

I found the easiest way for them to get along is to keep the tank (And room they are in) very dark. By the next morning, they've gotten a bit more used to eachother.

Best of luck, and please post your results as you come across them!

Last edited by Tinthalas Tigris; 02-07-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #9 
Tragedy

Tinthalas Tigris -

I wouldn't trust that. It says 5 gallons is too small for a single male Betta o_O
Tragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #10 
Tinthalas Tigris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
Tinthalas Tigris -

I wouldn't trust that. It says 5 gallons is too small for a single male Betta o_O
Did you remember to select a filter? It has a couple of safeguards. We know that bettas do not require a filter, but the aqadvisor is written largely with bio-filtration in mind.

It probably gave a warning because of the filtration. I didn't have that warning with a 5g listing.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote