Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #11 
ANHEL123

1. can have betta in the changing cup with about 15% of the water and keep adding small amount of the new water about every 5 min for about 5-6 times -this way you he will get used to the temperature:)

2. Note the temperature of the water.

Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
Let his cup float for about 10 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed. (If he sits longer because you're studying, that's OK.)
Gently release him into the tank.

3. To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #12 
fidget

Hey aloha! I had one of those tanks. You need to change the water a couple of times a week until it's cycled, no matter what they say.

What you're doing is establishing the nitrogen cycle in your aquarium. The threads below have a lot of good info. Information that BTTR should be including with all of their aquafarms imo. They touch on it briefly but you should read about the nitrogen cycle so you can understand what's going on in your tank and why your fish is lethargic.
Personally, I would do another 50% water change and see how he looks after that. The waste has been building up in your tank for a few weeks now...

nitrogen cycle info

water change recommendations

nitrogen cycle betta specific

You should definitely get a heater!! Bettas like it around 79. He'll really perk up when he warms up. I had the heater cord going out of the "handle" on the side but a lot of people with that tank have it going out the feeding hole.
And they are all pigs and will over eat if you let em. What kind of pellets are you feeding him? The ones that came with the tank?
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #13 
ANHEL123

What else people recommend but i never did it, you can use zip lock bag. Of course leave the open space for the air. Let it float in the water with a little bit of his original water and keep adding about 2 tbsp every 5 minutes for like about 30 minutes. Do it when you do full water change. The reason i recommending to do so many water changes because i don't want you to shock him with drastic diffirence , just do gradual water changes to get him used to the chemistry.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

i didn't see fidget post, but the is no filter so with out filter you can not cycle. And that is the problem with betta now . He didn't have enough water changes in 4 wks
Here is another Oldfishlady advice on non cycled tanks

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #15 
fidget

Anhell, the aquafarm has plants on top that are supposed to use the nitrates as food so he's going to want to cycle the tank.

OH- aloha! You should also get one of these so your fish doesn't get sucked up the intake tube. I've read about it happening to a bunch of people.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #16 
fidget

There is a sort of "filter." It works the same way a sponge filter works except that the water that's displaced by the air bubbles gets pushed to the top of the tank where the bb are supposed to be living, breaking down waste, it's where the plants roots are.
It's kinda hard to explain without pictures. I'll see if I have one for you.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #17 
ANHEL123

it already 4 wks with 50% water changes and obviously fish acting a little sick.... and it already was recent water change that didn't help.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #18 
fidget

That's true. I don't know why his isn't cycled yet, but the one I had cycled in two weeks with me doing 2-3x weekly water changes.
Just saying that the tank is supposed to cycle...if he wants it to work as it's intended, it has to cycle. Some people really have a hard time with it.
They basically tell people to throw a betta in the tank, plant some seeds in the tray above the tank and feed the fish. Nothing about water changes or the cycle or anything. They advertise the tank as "self-cleaning," which is totally irresponsible of them if you ask me.

I'm not trying to undermine what you're saying- You know a LOT more about fish than me!!! I just really struggled with that tank when I had it.

Last edited by fidget; 10-14-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #19 
fidget

Edit- Oops! Nvm
Old 10-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #20 
alohafish

Thanks so much, Anhel and Fidget, for your thoughtful replies.

Fidget, it is good to hear from someone with experience with this type of tank. Did you ever get it to be successful? I love the idea, but as you can see, it isn't working out perfectly yet. I would love to figure out how to make it work well, but changing the water (which seems to be needed for the fish) seems contrary to building up the beneficial bacteria and plant food. If it's the plants or the fish, I'll work on keeping the fish healthy, but it seems there ought to be a way to make it work better. Anyone else have experience with this type of tank?

Incidentally, I did see some other references to fish getting stuck in the tube, so I added extra gravel and made sure the end was well buried. Hopefully that will keep him out of there.

I ended up putting Leo (our betta) back into the little cup he came in so I could take all the water out of the tank. I saved about half of it, so it wouldn't be all new water (so I was only actually changing 50%), but I cleaned out the bottom of the tank and rinsed the gravel, too. Then I added fresh water and the rest of the water I had saved, floated his cup around in it for awhile, and gradually let him back into the tank. So far, so good... He is swimming around a bit more, and he gobbled up his dinner (but then he always does). I will see how he is in the morning.

Thanks again for the advice!
alohafish is offline   Reply With Quote