Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #1 
Canis

Will adult fish eat fry food?

I am thinking of starting up a microworm culture or two, as well as try my hand at BBS hatching. I don't want to waste all of the live food, but at the same time I don't know what I would feed them to. Will adult bettas eat either of these foods? Can they even see them?

Thanks!
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have no idea. Lol I'm curious, too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

None of my adult fish will go for microworms. However, I have noticed adults are much more willing to hunt and eat BBS.

Also, you can't really waste microworms. Even if you don't harvest you simply start up a new culture every time the old one starts to turn and it just will keep itself going until you have need of it.

It's what I do with my microworms and I've had the same starter culture for probably over a year now, just moved into new medium once the old one starts to smell.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #4 
Canis

Alright, thanks ^^ I'll have to go get some oatmeal and yeast on my next shopping trip.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #5 
Jennifer Vazquez

I got my microworm culture from a local guy who works with the East Tennessee Aqautics society. He said He keeps one jar of Microworm cultures in the crisper drawer in the bottom of the fridge, as a starter culture. As long as your fridge doesn't freeze things in the bottom it is fine. I have had my culture in the crisper drawer for almost two months now and the microworms are still alive. I have 2 cultures going at one time, one out of the fridge, the original in the fridge. Just in case I lose one. I take the culture out of the fridge and add some yeast every 2 weeks. You can use the one from the fridge, but you have to take it out 24 hours before use so it gets back to room temperature.
Jennifer Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #6 
millersrepairshop

I've tried feeding my adult fish microworms. They would just swim around like "I know he put food in here, where is IT?" lol I have also tried with baby guppies. They seemed to enjoy for about 2-3 weeks before they just lost interest. It appears all of mine prefer BBS.

I have 3 cultures going ATM. 1 in oatmeal and 2 in instant mashed potatoes. One of each kind are kept in the fridge while the other is sitting on my window sill for faster growth. I was paranoid my culture would crash so I divided.
millersrepairshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #7 
babystarz

My adults are contstantly trying to get into the fry net to eat the BBS I give to the babies XD They can't see the microworms.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote