Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #1 
LightsYouOnFire

Hi! I'm new... intro & a few q's

Hello there! I'm Lindsay, and I'm from Wisconsin.

I've always looked at Bettas in the stores, and I've always wanted to take the plunge, but for some reason I never did. Until yesterday, that is.

I went to Walmart (or zombie land as I like to call it) for some fabric, and walked out with the fabric I needed and a lonely, sad, stressed out male Betta. I believe he's a veil tail. His water was very murky and he had like 2 inches of it to hang out in, not good. I consider it a rescue. :)

So I came home, and I definitely did not have anything set up. I bought food, stones, and some bottled water. I put the dude in a large vase I had handy temporarily. He LOVED having the space to roam! He's very social.

Anyways, here is a picture of him. My boyfriend named him Alfred Fishcock... umm..... that's not staying. I'm calling him Al for now. I may change it to Earl.

I think he's just delightful to look at! He's considered a veil tail, right? What do you all think of him? Does he look normal? I looked at the color charts, and I can't figure out what exactly to classify him as.... thoughts? His face is really dark in the pic, and the white things are bubbles on the wall of the tank.

I ended up going to the store today to pick up a larger temporary tank until I can get my 15gal from my parents' house. He's currently in a 1.5 gallon round plastic tank thingy from petsmart.

So.... a few questions.

1. Like I said before.. does he look okay? I think he's a doll.

2. He's got this small white dot on one of hi fins, you can't see it because of the air bubbles in the tank. I was reading in here that some salt in the tank will help cure what people described as a small grain of sugar/salt sized white thing on the fins.... am I right? I don't think I'd need much, but I'll do it for sure. I've got sea salt. If that is the case, can I just put it right in the tank with him in there, or should I dilute the salt in part of his tank water before adding it in with him?
3. Tank heat. I don't have an official heater or a filter right now, but his tank does have a light in the lid of it. His water temperature is now up to a better range from when he was in the vase since it has been on. With other fish I'd leave the light on during the day and turn it off at night, would this cause too much of a cooling/heating variance? Should I just leave it on all the time? Ugh I can't wait to get my real equipment.

I appreciate the help! I love reading all of your posts... the breeding forum is so interesting to me!
LightsYouOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

You have a beautiful veiltail male. :) Bettas need a day/night like we do. I turn my lights off during the day and turn them on at night. The light shouldn't be on for more than 8 hours. He'll love the 15G when you get it set up, just make sure that it's heavily planted and lots of hiding places for him. Could you take a picture of the white dot? I would google what ick looks like and compare.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #3 
Eolith

He does look perfectly happy and healthy to me. If he's got ich, it's in the very beginning stages and salt should clear it up. The rule of thumb is to put in 1/4 tsp per gallon for maintenance and preventative purposes, and I believe 1 tsp per gallon as a disease cure... not entirely sure, I'll have to check into it.

You will absolutely need to make sure that the salt is completely dissolved in the water before putting him in it. I've heard it can cause burns or something if a solid piece comes into direct contact with your betta's fins or body.

Update: my aquarium salt box says to put in one rounded tablespoon of salt for every 5 gallons for disease treatment.

Last edited by Eolith; 02-07-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #4 
CodeRed

Hooo, boy. That's a beautiful boy you have there :P Veiltails have always held a special place in my heart, and yours is a perfect example why! Welcome to the forum, and feel free to ask ANY questions you need answer, even if they seem silly. It's what we're here for, after all (:
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #5 
LightsYouOnFire

Thanks so much everyone!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:20 AM   #6 
Jupiter

He's a very beautiful boy! Welcome to the forums.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:55 AM   #8 
Tinthalas Tigris

Try just a teaspoon of salt in your vase, and keep it warm. Change the water at about 10% every day, and continue to keep it warm. The white dot should go away on its own with patience. Do not over feed, and do not leave undigested food to decompose in your vase.

Congratulations on your new endeavor. BEWARE! It is very addictive!
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #9 
LightsYouOnFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
Try just a teaspoon of salt in your vase, and keep it warm. Change the water at about 10% every day, and continue to keep it warm. The white dot should go away on its own with patience. Do not over feed, and do not leave undigested food to decompose in your vase.

Congratulations on your new endeavor. BEWARE! It is very addictive!

Haha I know! I'm already pondering how much I'd like to have a sorority some day. I'd LOVE to breed, but I doubt I ever would. If they produced only a few fry, absolutely, I'd love to experiment with color genetics and etc. With the potential for 80+ fry? Oh jeebus my cat would have a lovely lunch.

I found out today that my old 15 gallon has a wicked crack in it. Boooooo to that. I'm shopping around for tanks though and I should have one by friday. I'm having a hard time finding a tank I like... I'm really partial to the plain rectangular 10 gallon tanks, not the newer "modern" types. Oh well. I wish you could keep male bettas together.... how amazing would it be to have a school of males? Ugh that would be gorgeous.