Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #11 
carguy123

oh and about moving the tank. this place is so far the best place to keep my tank and dont think it gets to much sunlight (its just a very bright room) I had a tank in that room in a location probably with more direct sunlight coming at it but i dont remember having any algae problem + I didnt have any algae eaters or live plants and had waste producing gold fish and a betta by its self later on. Anyway a way i can solve to much light going to the fish tank is by moving towards the corner of the room (its like on the side towards the window) having less direct sunlight going to the tank.
carguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #12 
DragonFish

...I'd move it to the corner so it gets less direct sunlight anyway. The light will also heat up the tank, possibly overheating it, and causing a lot of temp fluctuations.

A few Ottos will be fine later on once your tank has been established if you start seeing an excess of algae. You shouldn't add Ottos unless you have quite a bit of unmanageable algae for them to graze on because they are picky eaters and will not always accept prepared foods. They're also delicate and sensitive to water quality, so you should never put them in a newly established tank anyway.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:48 AM   #13 
carguy123

so basically my bettas are going to be the first ones to be added to the tank.

what do think about adding neon tetras (since they stay small, i think) do you know any small fish that might be compatible preferibly cheap

I was looking at your aquaruims (20/50gallons) you seem to have alot of plants could you give me advise on buying any plants (i think im planning to get water wisteria and amazon sword so far) Im probably gonna go to Petco tommorrow and look at some fish that i might be interested and probably buy like 3 plants (buy2 get one free I think they have that sale right now). Oh ya what do i need to maintain the plants like what kind of fertilizer do i need

well thx for the help you provided me
carguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #14 
DragonFish

Your welcome :)

You could do a school of neons, though theres still the chance of nipping and picking on from both parties. Its up to you if you want to try it out or not, but whatever other tank-mates you choose, add them before adding your girls to limit aggression from them.
Personally, I have only kept Harlequin Rasbora with my females, no issues. I don't know how much they cost, but they're pretty neat little fish.

I'm afraid I have no personal experience with plants, so I can't help you there....I have a terrible green thumb. I do know that Java moss, Java fern, wisteria, swords, and anubis are pretty easy to care for though and I think all of those are low-light plants....
There was this website I'd found a while back that had a profile of al sorts of aquarium plants....I'll see if I can find it....
Ha! Here we go.... http://www.aquahobby.com/e_aquarium_plants.php
Hopefully that helps :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote